GAME THREAD: #7 Iowa State (27-7) vs #1 Houston (30-4) l March 16th 5pm/ESPN (L 41-69)

Haven’t heard a peep out of Pearland in a few days unless i just missed some of his posts?

They work 12 hour shifts if he’s a fire watch for a turnaround.

1 Like

UH -5.5
over / under 121.5

1 Like

Now 5 1/2 in some books. 122 total pretty low for most games, but with these two teams, probably going to be close.

1 Like

Actually, 10. I get off 30 minutes before game time, so I’ll either be speeding back to Galveston County or going up 288 and watching from a sports bar in Clute or Lake Jackson. Or I say screw it and just miss most of, if not all, the first half and safely drive home, though I can watch (and really, because I’ll be driving, listen) on my phone as I’m driving. So we’ll see how it goes.

Not liking next Thursday and Friday, as that’s like a holiday to me, so I suppose I’ll be using the porta-john a lot, LOL.

5 Likes

My suggestion is to drive fast and swerve.

Listen to AM 950, it’s much better than listening to a TV broadcast. And you won’t be tempted to look at the phone.

3 Likes

Know we don’t need this game for a #1 seed, but a loss gives ISU 50% of our losses. It will depend if J’wan is ready to go, much rather have him at 100% for Friday.

1 Like
3 Likes

Sit J’Wan today. Give Lath heavy minutes. He needs the playing time.

5 Likes

Maybe it’s because we’ve played really well the last two games. Also, anybody heard from Pearland1?

1 Like

Pearland
Pearland
Pearland

4 Likes

Winning is a habit and at this point best to not disturb it. Jwan will be playing unless he just can’t. But the goal will be to win the game.

5 Likes

One of the problems UH had at Iowa St. was a slow start. The team is focused on getting a fast start for the final. We know Iowa St. will make its run and UH has game experience weathering an opponents run and stopping the bleeding.

Refereeing will play a big factor, especially if CKS sits Roberts. UH needs to adjust to the referee’s whistles. The crowd will go crazy if a call is against UH, UH just needs to keep its composure and play lockdown defense. If UH shoots 49.2% FG, 42.9% 3s, and 85.7% FT, like they did against Texas Tech, Iowa St. will need to be near perfect to win.

2 Likes

I understood that reference

Great article on the switch to 5 guard lineup

4 Likes

Figured you would. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s a road game. TV doesn’t do it justice either. Go across the street to KCPL and it will be 95% Cyclone fans today. In some ways (with that atmosphere) it’s more of a home game than playing at Hilton is (minus the travel).

We’ve been very pedestrian most of the last 3-4 weeks with the big exceptions being @ Houston (played hard and within ourselves well…will need to hit the glass like we did then tonight) and the game last night. While not perfect, it was the first time in a while where both Lipsey and Gilbert were major factors, being smarter with the ball, than they have been in a while. We are so much better when our guards have their heads on straight. Robert Jones, who really was a terrible in conference player last year, has really made himself into a valuable asset. His rebounding is terrible, but offesnively he has improved and improved at playing within himself. He took one bad shot last night and guess what? It’s the only one he missed.

I think it comes down to you guys and UConn for the title. UConn has less weaknesses, but Houston neutralizes it by being outstanding on defense and by creating possession disparity. When you consistently have 8 less TOs than the opposition AND rebound relentlessly you simply overwhelm the opposition with possessions. It allows for Houston to not shoot well, maybe not have it’s best game, and consistently win.

For ISU to win the interior “frontline” guys need to rebound well (Jones, King, and Momcilovice were brutal yesterday) and take care of the ball (they did that extremely well) to keep the number of possessions close. ISU might also need to think about starting and putting CuJo on Cryer. The emergence of Cryer (from his early season play) has really taken Houston to the next level and ISU can ill afford to give him open looks. The last thing, something I mentioned earlier, is playing within capabilities. Momcilovic does NOT have P5 level handles (yet) and struggles when putting the ball on the floor. Teams have done a much better job hounding him and denying the ball. It’s resulted him him forcing the action and putting the ball on the floor. It’s apparent EVERY team and coach is awaer of those struggles and once he dribbles he is quickly trapped. It’s plays like these, something the guy hasb’t been able to do at all this year, that ISU needs to abstain frmo. Doing so will only lead to lost possessions and TOs, feeding into what Houston does best.

FYI, if any of you aren’t familiar, KC wasn’t always the “permanent home” of the tournament. It’s been in Dallas, OKC and maybe a few other places over he years. During those years attendance was POOR and it was a bad look for the conference. KU, ISU, and (to a lesser degree) KSUs fans will overrun KC when they are doing well (ISU will with an average or above team while KU fans cry and go home if they get bounced). If other fans start showing up and give the league reason to think they can move it will possibly be reconsidered.

Good luck today. Win or lose I hope it’s entertaining and both teams are near their bests.

20 Likes

I went into the tournament just hoping to avoid injury and secretly hoping we’d rest our guys.

beating TCU was nice getting our revenge and now beating everyone in the Big12 at least once

I didnt care about the TTU game last night and of course we blew them out

now here we are in the Big12 Tourney final and im 100% locked in and emotionally invested. it would be AWESOME to win both the regular season and the tournament!

3 Likes