Herman very complimentary of the crowd

The least they could have done is kept all the fans informed about the so called bad weather. Expected delays etc.

Lower Bowl is 20K so if everything else was half full then it would be 30K, but 200s were full so that puts it at 35K.

LOL

2 Likes

No way there was more than 32K there. Probably about 27K.

Lower bowl is 18K

Bigger end zone is 2500. Smaller is 1500.

200 north side is 4K

300 north side is 4K

300 south side is 10K

Total 40K

The question is why didn’t 7,000 show? That seems awfully high.

I’ll go with CR’s 29K estimate but really go with the 39K purchased.

11 a.m. and nowhere near the excitement level of OU. I also believe Lamar doesn’t bring many fans. Probably like UNLV, UCF, etc.

The heading of this topic is Coach Herman very complimentary of the crowd so that is enough for me. Also, during the first quarter, before the rain delay, I received a message from a SEC guy in Louisiana that was watching online and he complimented us on the size of the crowd for a 11am game against Lamar.

We have not yet reached what we will be but we are so much more than what we were. I can remember that not too many years ago under Helton we only sold about 2,000 tickets to a home game. Yesterday we sold 39,000 tickets to Lamar. We just need to keep moving forward and soon we will be expanding TDECU to 50,000.

4 Likes

Not sure about the quibbling on the attendance. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, our attendance was 39,402. End of discussion.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t get it either. We were 600 from a sellout for a middle of the road FCS school at 11am in a thunderstorm system. That’s light years of improvement in just 12 months.

Absolutely Lawdog…our attendance was 39, 402 which is outstanding for an 11 am game against an opponent like that…

1 Like

Well said!

Well, the problem with TDECU stadium is the design. It was designed to allow viewing from the concourse.

Therefore and furthermore,I deputized all of you constant complainers and attendance experts to rove around the stadium and guilt the people at the concession stand, taking a leak or just socializing while watching the game from the various concourse to please return to their seats so that your " butts in the seat" number that you all are so interested in can be more accurately "guessed "at !!

However, while harassing the people to return to their seat for you convenience leads to you getting your a$$ kicked, you are on your own.

3 Likes

That’s absolutely right. I was looking at the stands during the game, and at any given time there were several thousand people milling about the concourses. Can’t say I blame them. It seems like you’d get a lot better view doing that than the upper decks.

It’s a great feature of the stadium imo that promotes socializing!

If the stadium was 87-88% full (35k would be 87.5% full) it would look full.

I’m going to mix metaphors between airplane and stadium crowds here…

50-55% full … Crowd feels light. No one in airplane center seats, some people have rows to themselves. At stadium you wish more people were there.

60-65% full … Crowd feels comfortable. On airplane, no one needs to sit in middle seat, but you likely don’t have a row to yourself. Some stadium sections look full at 85% occupied, some stadium sections near empty (this is where we were stadium-wide at Saturday’s game)

70-75% full … Things are tightening up. Some airplane rows are entirely full, but chances are you have an empty middle seat. Some stadium rows only have five or six people missing, but most have space between parties. (This was my section in the 200s yesterday)

80-85% full … You expect middle seat on plane to be taken, but you see empty ones around. At stadium, things are beginning to look full, but you can still spot empty seats here and there around the stadium.

90-95% full … It’s hard to spot empty seats, even though there are obviously empty seats around since we’re not at 100%…

Absolutely !!!

50,000 sounds perfect if UH makes it to the Big 12.

Hopefully to put the “butts in the seat” thing to bed; yes it would be nice to fill every seat, but the only thing that matters at the end of the year is tickets sold. Houston isn’t the only place that isn’t filling every seat; it’s a problem across college football as unappealing matchups combined with parking/concession costs combined with TV/A-C alternative tends to keep fans home. Sure, for the big games and rivalries, the fans will show up, but otherwise, they are staying home in droves. Not just a problem in CFB:

Battle at Bristol:

Cal-SDSU

Arizona-Grambling

Tx Tech-ASU

Arkansas-TCU

LSU-Jax St

FAU-Miami

UNLV-UCLA

Vanderbilt-MTSU

Washington-Idaho

Wake Forest vs. Duke

Ball State-Indiana

Illinois State-Northwestern

Wisconsin-Akron

Georgia Tech-Mercer

Kentucky-Florida

Kansas-Ohio

Rutgers-Howard

FSU-Charleston Southern

USC-Utah State

Michigan-UCF

Boston College-UMass (Foxborough)

Indiana State-Minnesota

Cincinnati-Purdue

Even the Ags had trouble showing up for Prairie View

4 Likes

Interesting to see these! Thanks for putting this together.

2 Likes