Herman very complimentary of the crowd

Dude, you need to stop making the rest of us look bad! As per usual, thanks for the great compilation of information!

That FlaSt pic looks horrible.

The lower bowl on the south side looked kinda sparse in the 1st qtr, even before the delay. But I talked to 57 and he told me we were "this close " to a fire marshal fine for overcrowding in the stadium club

Michigan said they had 109,000 people at that game, that pic must be either befor or after the game, or they had the same problem we did where there was a much higher amount of tickets sold than actual “butts in seats”

It’s during the game. Early second half. You can tell from the scoreboard. Michigan was up 34-7 at the time.

ESPN’s postgame breakdown video shows a much less flattering view of the postgame crowd. Although the shots from early in the game do look much better – I’d anticipate that most people left at halftime.

I’m really trying to follow your point but we have nothing to apologize for when over 39,000 fans turn out to watch what essentially is a scrimmage. Help me out here.

1 Like

Here is pic I took of the game right after kick off. Stadium looks pretty good to me. Not 39000 good but still nice.

Well considering over 70,000 fans showed ip for UH-OU we may need that 60,000 to handle major Big 12 teams. And if we can get almost 40,000 to turn out for a scrimmage against Lamar how many do you think would show up for Tech or TCU? Or even OSU for that matter. Kansas might leave a few empty seats, but I’m betting on our fans, especially if we are making a run for the conference championship, which I predict will be almost every year.

1 Like

Very well said. It gets old.

For what it’s worth, I brought my 6 year old boy to the game on Saturday. We made it 2 1/2 hours into the delay before I finally had to take him home. Before the delay, the crowd looked good and fired up to me, considering this was never going to be much of a game to begin with. I’m with everyone else on here who is focused on ticket sales rather than filling every seat. I fully expect the seats to be filled for the remainder of the home games on our schedule. But us nearly selling out the Lamar game is a very good sign for this program and light years ahead of where we were in the very recent past. If this had been a Levine-era game, I doubt we would have sold 20k for it.

1 Like

Herman is right - as usual. That was a fantastic crowd for a game against LAMAR, at 11 AM, with local TV coverage, on a day with threatening weather! Anybody not seeing that - ain’t payin’ attention!

4 Likes

I hope you’re right. Just don’t expect every game to sell out. Yes, UH had 39k sold against Lamar, but UH was coming off a great win against OU (top 3 ranked team) and UH has very high expectations this year. Especially coming from another big win vs Florida St in last season’s bowl game.

I think you gotta try pretty hard to find something in what I posted to be defensive about. I’m on your side chief. Be a waste of our time to debate what we agree about over nothing.

This is the weirdest thread ever. The school sells over 39k for Lamar, A good number of those sold tickets are actually used, Coach is happy with the turnout and those who remained during the delay, yet people are looking for a negative in the situation? Seems weird to me.

On a related note, I am happy to see UH social media start talking about UConn now instead of waiting until the week of the game.

3 Likes

I rather think people are awful defensive. I know nothing I posted was throwing stones but rather fired up to buy my friends and family seats this season and so on and hoping others do too. We are auditioning for conference inclusion, everything will matter - some more than others. I think people will argue about anything, and look for anything to argue about. Anything to be indignant.

There is no drama.

Like @OldtimeCoog said, [quote=“OldtimeCoog, post:28, topic:2940”]
We have not yet reached what we will be but we are so much more than what we were.
[/quote]

Let’s just keep doing what were doing and we will get there. That includes a little debate. What else would we talk about? Hipsters and coffee shops :expressionless:. Ha!
GoCoogs!

The problem with that is, we’re not going to be this good every year. Sure, we’ll have a higher baseline, but will it be enough to warrant 60k? How many people will show up for a game between 7-4 Houston and 3-8 Baylor or TCU, much less Iowa State or WVU?

1 Like

I will show up every year to watch us beat the piss out of Baylor regardless of both team’s records.

Out of all they Big 12 teams, I dislike them the most.

1 Like

I prefer accurate statements. I rather doubt that you honestly believe that 39,000 fans turned out. It would be accurate to say that the official attendance was 39,000. It is worth making the distinction.

“In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act”. – widely attributed to George Orwell

We know that the university sold thousands of tickets to brokers. Now there’s nothing wrong with that. There’s something to be said about money in the bank. But those brokers almost certainly found it difficult to resell tickets to this particular game. It wasn’t that thousands of season ticket holders didn’t show. It’s that thousands of tickets held by brokers were unused.

OK this thread really went way off its intention and turned into “whose more right”. In the end Herman was happy and we were 600 short of a sellout. Why we need a 60 post thread arguing over, well – nothing – is kinda silly, and thus endeth the thread.

4 Likes