He's Right. It's time

I’m really tired of that fear mongering type of stuff. I smoked for 30 years and when I decided to quit I quit. No nicotine gum or patches, I just quit. haven’t smoked in 20+ years.

2 Likes

Quote: Interdisciplinary research in pharmacology, psychology, physiology and neurobiology is just beginning to shed light on the incredible hold that tobacco has on people. Scientists have found, for instance, that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine or amphetamines, and for most people more addictive than alcohol.

I remember watching a show that said that the reason nicotine is so addictive has to do with the fact that, unlike most stimulants, nicotine lowers anxiety.

Most stimulants do indeed rev up the nervous system, but also increase anxiety.

Nicotine is one of the few that revs up the nervous system while simultaneously decreasing anxiety, a highly pleasurable effect for many people.

That makes it VERY hard for people to quit as a general rule.

Yeah that’s 100% scare tactics. Is it addictive? Yeah. Can quitting be tough for people? It can be, it was for me. But is it heroin? F No.

2 Likes

Maybe OldTime your genetic makeup maybe different where it made it easy for you to quit. For some people not so easy…Just like science knows there’s a genetic makeup to be an alcoholic in certain families and they need to stay away from drinking alcohol, one drink may get them hooked, like crack

Genetics and alcoholism - PMC.

2 Likes

Strongly agree with this — I’ve got a pal who treated substance abusers. He said for some people there’s a drug or substance (alcohol, whatever) that if you begin to abuse it, it hooks you and won’t let go. But if you never try it, you live a normal life.

Second story from my pal — He said when crack came through in the 80s it was like a fast moving forest fire & none of the therapists knew how to treat it. With alcoholism, you might get by for years. But with crack, you could be a successful family man and in six months, crack would have you out on the street clutching everything you own in a brown paper bag.

Says up to 4 on google… That’s still way too much regulation; I could see limiting residential homes to a few plants…

My family… That’s why I don’t drink.

But I also gave up cigarettes cold turkey after smoking for a decade prior to quitting… Haven’t smoked in 14 years.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve not seen too many people sell everything they own and then rob their kid for nicotine… Check mark heroin.

Correct, nor have I ever been reduced to vomiting, shakes, and pain whine quitting from withdrawals. Nicotine withdrawals are not fun it’s a lousy week but again it’s not exactly comparable to opiate withdrawals.

1 Like

Do you realize what you just wrote?
“Why do I need to think about the children on this particular issue?”
I am asking again with the following question.
What are the long term consequences of children on marijuana?
I posted it earlier.
Do we want a society full of “stoners”?
Please answer the question with the “angle” that these are children not mature enough to know what is best for them. Answering with an “adult” point of view is by definition flawed.
You make a good point on many other issues affecting children. By your own answer why add another one?

2 Likes

There are many substances and items detrimental to children that they should not have
access to. Anxiety pills, antidepressant meds, alcohol, guns, etc. That’s a parents job and should not be laws to prohibit use of these substances and items for the general population. However you address and manage use of those items in your family , you can probably apply to legalized MJ/THC as well.

2 Likes

You all know about marijuana access in schools or near schools. This is one of the dirty secrets that school districts never want to address. NRGcoog you answer with an adult/parent point of view not from a teenage or even younger child point of view.

Not sure how that enlightens the conversation by considering a child’s POV. Kids will
eat all the chocolate in the pantry or only dine on junk food if you let them. They will
drink sugary caffeinated soft drinks until their back teeth start floating if you allow it. So how
does considering a child’s POV help in dealing with unhealthy foods and drugs ? I think most
parents understand that children fall between being naive(early age) and an interest/desire to experiment (teenage).

marijuana access in schools or near schools. This is one of the dirty secrets that school districts never want to address

How have you approached school districts about this problem ? Why do you say school districts
“never” address it ? Is there some novel new ways you have of addressing drugs in school that
are being ignored or not tried ? Please share the details.

https://www.cfisd.net/Page/1958

Evaluation Data Source(s) 2: Safety data Summative Evaluation 2:
Formative Reviews Nov Feb June
Strategy Description
ELEMENTS
Monitor
Strategy’s Expected Result/Impact

1. Establish a Police K-9 program to decrease number of illegal and illicit drugs and weapons found on campuses.
    Uniformed Services Lieutenants, K-9 Sergeant
    Decrease number of finds of illegal and illicit drugs found at campuses across district.
    Reduce number of disciplinary referrals for students in possession of narcotics and/or weapons.
    Conduct a minimum of 425 searches during school year.
    Conduct a minimum 36 educational presentations during school year.

Then why make it more accessible? More access in Colorado has created another “type” of black market (documented earlier) That same black market is not “controlling” the influx of fentanyl. Increased fentanyl accidental deaths are not a coincidence. Who are they affecting? Children.
Regarding schools the teacher’s union is against teacher’s access to guns. Cy-Fair seems to be have its best interest at heart. Do you think that is the same everywhere else? I would respond with quite the contrary. I sure hope I am wrong.

We’re losing focus here by bringing in guns into this topic; admittedly I did that , but
probably not productive to mix that in anymore on a discussion about legalized MJ.

Likewise I didn’t read anyone in this thread advocating legalized fentanyl either, so
probably not productive to enter that into discussion. Admittedly, you can have a “slippery
slope” discussion if you legalize MJ.

In regards to CFISD safety policy, my gut feel is that they are no better or worse then other districts in addressing drugs in school, but I could be wrong. Are there other ideas out there
that need to be implemented or tried ? Random or periodic school testing of students ? More police for random searches ? Weekly “scared straight” sessions by educators on drug facts and stats on kids getting messed up ? How far do we want them to go here ? Not really advocating any of these methods just wanting to hear ideas.

15 percent of state prisoners at year-end 2019 had been convicted of a drug offense as their most serious infraction. In comparison, 47% of federal prisoners serving time in September 2019 (the most recent date for which data are available) were convicted of a drug offense.

"• Forty-six percent of prisoners sentenced to federal prison were serving time for a drug offense (more than 99% for drug trafficking) on September 30, 2019, the most recent date for which such data are available (tables 15 and 16).

Not sure of definition of “drug trafficking” here , but assume it means transporting across state lines and/or in possession of a larger quantity. So if legalized, do traffickers fall into 2 groups , legal and illegal, and do illegal traffickers still face the same consequences?

As long as I’m not smelling it everywhere that I go in public, then whatever. I absolutely hate the smell.

Hopefully he’s sterile