Holgorsen Recruiting

The case was closed when CMA was fired. Our preseason rating was based on the fact that King and a few others were coming back and it was assumed that he would do well under CDH’s system. That proved not to be the case, King was unable to hit receivers deep and the defense leaked like a sieve; meanwhile the OL was losing players right and left.

CDH was trying to build a team for the long haul, not sacrifice the future for a few more wins that would have brought what, another nobody bowl? It is never a good thing to base a coach on his first year. Would you have been down on Sampson because his first year here produced a losing season?

Hermann was eager to get out of here as fast as he could because he knew the cupboard was getting bare. Major was left holding the bag and the bottom fell out of it. Now CDH is our coach and I will support him as long as he is here, which I hope will be a long time because of his successes.

6 Likes

No disagreement with any of what you said. The whole issue is people get offended on here bec I said I don’t like CDH in many ways. Nothing to do with W/L first year. It’s all about what flavor you like. And there isn’t a question of whether to hope for the best in CDH and COOG Football success . By all means yes!! Unlike some on here who don’t like Coach BOB with Texans so they dont care about Texans as Team. Never will happen with me, always Team first then the players, coach, Org, etc. As a native Houstonian living in burbs for long time will always be Astros, Rockets, Texans, Coogs no matter who the opponent. Hopefully that clears up any confusion on just bec I’m not a Holgorsen fan, that will never interfere w/ putting all my energy into the Coogs when they play again. #GoCoogs

1 Like

I see a coach who has very impressively improved this roster in just one year on the job via re routing, transfers and redshirts. Including the transfers we have gotten this has been a really good recruiting haul. When we start winning in the gridiron HS kids will start looking our way more but leaving WVU for Houton did give us some street credibility and transfers that would not have likely given us a thought be for he arrived. Stop looking at the stupid class ranking and start looking more at the position and depth upgrades to the roster.

4 Likes

The roster is terribly out of balance in certain areas. Dana and staff are trying to backfill those positions where our depth will be severely depleted after this season. It’s like the program has is living with a cracked slab and thus needs many repairs …s9 do you want to repair it with slab sealer and replaster the walls every year hoping it holds up or do you want to invest some time and tear it down enough to repair the slab and then rebuild the walls so they don’t continually need to be replastered? I’m all for doing it the right way. I suggest to everyone to go look at the roster by position and class of our players then you will realize why we are heavily recruiting certain positions . Depth that won’t ebb and flow from year to year. A solid base is being formed so then our recruiting can return to the more conventional ways .

3 Likes

Appie was terrible; way over his head.

5 Likes

Can you remind us of what this was about? I don’t remember it at all.

2 Likes

#notafaneither :clap::clap::clap:

Is he referring to the game at TCU, when Case threw 6 interceptions? If so, Holgorsen wasn’t the only one there who was getting upset that day.

Mike,
I have every confidence in CDH. Plus, what other Coach would have the cajones to redshirt some of our best players last year ? Do you remember CBY redshirted a lot of good players in prep for entering the SWC ? Folks should not be so critical. Go Coogs !

1 Like

It is OK to be critical, but just have a basis for it… not that you just don’t like his haircut !!

I’m guessing it’s when we played AF at SMU during Hurricane Ike. There weren’t many people there so you could probably hear everything.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of CDH either… U dnt know if he is cut out to be a HC. He is a good OC. We definitely could’ve won more games last year. We didnt play our best players… who produced for us the previous years. It was stupid move. I hate them for what they did to Lark and Chambers. Then the whole King drama. I will jump on the bandwagon when he gets us to a NY6 bowl. All the other coaches before him couldve took us to any of the random bowls. CDH doesnt get anyone excited. He has to prove it on the field, the way his recruiting is going, we are going to be waiting for a while.

2 Likes

Ding, ding, ding, that was it, so there were about 50 people in the UH stands, and he went ballistic with the players. Lost a lot of respect. But he deserves three years to get the job done and turned around.

So, I scrolled down to the end and didn’t find an answer to your question. All I know is what is published, mostly on 24/7 Sports, but others on this board seem to have access to people in the program and may know more about who is hot for UH and who isn’t.

We have two verbal commits right now for class of 2021.
https://247sports.com/player/mark-wilson-46059546/

And,
https://247sports.com/player/rodquice-chaney-46038968/

Chaney was a 2018 commit but went JUCO. He was fairly well regarded, talent wise, out of high school.

Looking at the “Offers” page for UH class of 2021, we have a few recruits that say they are “warm” on UH. I take that stuff with a grain of salt until people commit. But like I said, others with inside scoop may know who is really leaning our way regardless of what 24/7 says.

Here’s a list of the “warm” guys, just for kicks.
https://247sports.com/player/ketravion-hargrove-46099596/

Currently unrated but has offer from Baylor.

https://247sports.com/player/byron-murphy-ii-46079959/

This kid’s a beast and the competition is stiff. Offers from Baylor, Georgia, TTU.

https://247sports.com/player/andrew-jones-46100200/

Not as beastly in his position as Murphy, but he looks very good against the run and in pursuit. Offers from FSU, UL, Georgia.

As compared to the rest of the AAC, we are lagging behind in verbal commits, but I don’t worry too much about that until November-ish.

Hi Philipvarg, I’m new to this forum but have been following for awhile now. I know my opinions and comments will go against the grain of most on this site. I’m with you in a lot of ways regarding CDH. I too was particularly disgusted with what CDH did to Lark and Chambers last season. Both of those players were sitting on the bench, fresh as daisies, while our coogs were being decimated in second half of all of our games. We lost so many games that way with our best players sitting in the bench and I’m not talking redshirts. Of course CDH will win more games in his next season. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think he threw those games in second half. LOL I’m also not buying those two players didn’t work hard in practice as Holgorsen stated at press conference. Additionally, do you recall when chambers had three sacks and one forced fumble the second last game of the season? Well he didn’t even step on the field the next game. What do you make of that? I don’t understand it. I come in peace!

6 Likes

It’s nice to see some of the views that I have start to be posted. I just chose not to go into detail for few reasons.

1 Like

I have never seen a football coach thrown into a deeper and more prickly bramble bush. A depleted roster, a low morale squad all in need of major rebuilding. And then a pandemic that shuts down the program and recruiting. CDH will have to pull a brer rabbit to get out of this mess.

1 Like

I don’t know nor does anyone but Coach know why those two sat. Logic dictates that as good as they wre, there must have been a reason. My guess is attitude/work ethic/others.

1 Like

I agree with Peggy above… she knows alot more than I do. As i seen her post abt this before. I never understood why they benched those two guys, they produced when in games. You put your seniors in the game and let them play. No way you can tell me the guys that were on the field were better than these two. We had practice squad guys playing ahead of Lark and Chambers.

I have no problem with how Lark and Chambers last season with UH went.
There are reasons things happen the way they do.

2 Likes