Home Warranty Recs

In the market for a comprehensive home warranty, any recommendations? Any UH sponsors?

We have American Home Shield and so far it’s not bad. $89 for each trait but multiple problems of a trait are under the one fee.

Have had American Home Shield. They’ve been pretty good. Only complaint is in the heat of the summer, slow response time from the a/c companies

1 Like

Thank you for posting. The mgt company that we use told me they were a scam and not worth the investment when you rent out properties.

They are a huge scam. Just google Home Warranty Lawsuits

We had Choice home warranty for years. They were fine if you had something easy to fix, ice maker or some $150-300 washer or dryer issue. Of course you paid $70 just to have someone come out.

Well once the AC went out they just out of hand dismissed the claim. We got a case assigned and a supervisor to talk to us. Well except they didn’t. And there was no way to contact someone directly. It was the most frustrating experiences I’ve had with a company.

Of course once it started happening and I started investigating, it’s 100% standard operating procedure for these shysters.

You are 1000% better putting $100 month in a savings account.

4 Likes

This. When I buy a house, I make the seller buy one for me mostly because it always happens to me on the other side. That should be the extent of their business (and I’m guessing it pretty much is).

1 Like

Looking back, it upsets me I fell for the home warranty. It’s the car dealership version of rust undercoat protection. An absolute sucker purchase.

1 Like

I tend to be skeptical of these insurances as well; however I had a co-worker that
was really happy with hers initially. I need to check back with her since it’s been a few years
now.

Next up is the extended car warranties. I average getting cold called about 10 times
a month for these policies. Anybody have personal experience with them , pro or con ?

1 Like

That’s a good article . My summarization of it is don’t by the extend car warranties, most
of the time you lose.

Now I did purchase extended warranty from the dealership for a travel trailer I once owned. There was always something breaking on it and they have lots of components. I would almost recommend
them for those things.

They usually aren’t worth the money you pay for them. If it gives you peace of mind, maybe it’s worth it. That said, these companies do well for a reason.

As @Hill mentioned, you’re better off putting back money every month for future repairs.

Agree with that for homes and cars ; but travel trailers
are a whole different animal. They are constantly breaking and flimsy to begin with. I had Ac units replaced , refrigerators, complete electrical system failure, door hinges cracking, and many other things and I only owned it for 3.5 years !

1 Like

That makes sense to me.

Update. Had 2 things i had to claim and they were middle ish. They don’t cover anything. It’s definitely a scam and you should save your money.

3 Likes

Big 5 insurance spends 4 billion a year advertising. B! Then throw in a 150 million annually bribing politicians. They don’t accumulate that much cash by paying out claims. SCAM

Last house I bought American Home Shield was offered. I asked if they would instead have the house professionally cleaned and sprayed for pests. They agreed and everyone was happy

2 Likes

I have had American Home Shield. I’ve had a gas heater, 1dishwasher. 2 blower motors & 1 electic oven, 1 evaporator coil replaced. Had electronic panel in washer replaced.

Very happy with the company over a few years. Why, because the wife is happy

1 Like

Say no more.

1 Like

So they actually replaced an entire major appliance, and you got a newish one, to replace an appliance that was out of warranty?

But 100% the best part of the home warranty is, when something goes bad, you call them and they take care of it….vs digging thru google to find someone

They gave me money to buy another one. The heater was new and a replacement for my original one.