Houston Astros 2023 Season on a daily roll

Julks hit a bases loaded two out double today and cleared the bases.

I don’t think he will make the team out of spring training, but I do think he showed the coaches he is a viable option to replace an injured or non performing player.

I think he gets his “cup” this year at some point.

1 Like

What makes you so sure. For me Brantley’s absence has a foreboding to it

2 Likes

I guess we’ll see.

He apparently has missed a lot of games due to family issues. They mentioned on 790 that he was hitting on the back fields today.

Gainer with a HR and SIX rbi through 4 innings today….if he doesn’t make the opening day roster it will be a crime….

Especially with Altuve and Brantley out……have bat will travel….he has a big bat.

1 Like

Yainer Diaz.

1 Like

Thanks….see I get excited and misspell stuff when talking about him….lol

I hope he makes the final roster.

Yainer and Dirden both deserve to be there….this is again the Astros scouting department finding under the radar guys……

Gainer should have been a top 100 guy, but whatever, I want start that rant….today at least.

And every year, they say Houston’s farm system is so weak….are we thin in a few spots? Yes.

But we continue to have a couple of guys a year prove they are worthy.

And the last draft was the start of the resurgence of Astros farm.

It’s why IMO we won’t need to re-sign Tucker to some ridiculous contract……OF has some really good talent that will be ready in a couple of years….maybe sooner

Astros opened a can of spinach against St. Louis.

3 Likes

Dirty bird down!! Dirty bird down!!!

There is something special about the Astros winning the last game of preseason 24-1 over the St. Louis Cardinals. Does it portend of another great season for the Astros?

The Astros have more minor league talent than has been reported through the media. Or, to be fair, perhaps I need to be paying closer attention.

2 Likes

When the minor leagues are strong the Astros reign supreme.

1 Like

Still the favorites.

If the Astros get off to a fast start, no one will catch them. Once Altuve is back, they are clearly the best team in the West and probably in the AL.

1 Like

If Degrom stays relatively healthy, they have an OK staff. The Angels will probably start off hot with some momentum from Shohei and Trout in the WBC and the Mariners are as good as the Astros, with a full season of Luis Castillo. Not to mention, the A’s always seem to give us fits. We also play the teams in our division less this year, making the games a bit more meaningful.

The Mariners are not 16 games better with Castillo….They are not as good as the World Series Champions.

That is why we are +600 and the favorite to win the WS yet again……and they are they are + 1900 and tied for 10th choice on the board( and that is with Vegas factoring Altuve out 2 Months, No LM, etc. and also factors L. Castillo for them a full season.

And we are 23-15 against the A’s the past two years.

Also, Angels suck….

It’s the Rangers that are trying to pull the NYMets thing….won’t work, but they are trying….

One of my old players will be making his major league debut soon for an AL West team.

3 Likes

I don’t focus on what Vegas says. UH basketball was the betting favorites to win it all throughout the season. The Mariners seem hungry to me and have a vastly improved roster that I think will give the Astros a nice challenge. Altuve being out for significant time worries me as well. Who knows if he will be as effective as he always is afterwards, or if it is something that will linger. I didn’t say that I don’t think we will win the division (although I don’t feel like it’s a given) but getting out to a fast start doesn’t seem likely to me. I hope I am wrong, of course, but Brantley is going at a snail pace, Lance is dealing with his wrist, no Verlander, how much will Yordan’s hand bother him throughout the season, short off season from the WS (and WBC for some), while still adjusting to the new rules. I’m just excited for baseball to start but well see how it goes.

Congrats. You must be proud. What’s his name and team?

Astros beat Sugarland 3-1……another HR for Yainer.

Also Lee is supposed to be better defensively……obviously a lot more to it than throwing out runners but Lee has only thrown out 1 of 10 base stealers while Yainer has thrown out 3 of 5.

I don’t think it even close anymore as to who the better C is….When Maldy is gone that’s a nice combo if they don’t use Lee as a trade chip for SP close to the deadline.

Salazar and Berryhill both can probably handle the job of back up to Yainer next year.

Outside of Centerfield, there isn’t a position player on the Mariners that I would take over the position player for the Astros.

No one in west compares to the Astros.

If you were going to worry about one team, in my mind, it is the Rangers. But teams built around free agency tend to disappoint.

2 Likes