Houston is a college town?

According to marketwatch.com it is!

Houston is many things but a college town we ain’t. I don’t think of Savanah as a college town either. But if I were to want to write a novel, Savanah is where I would go to do it.

2 Likes

Allentown? I wouldn’t live there on a bet

I think the writer got this assignment and had to bend the criteria of what is a college town, since there is finite proof of home values.
There are technicallly single family homes near UH for under $250k, but maybe not the ones you want.

Maybe it’s been fixed. In the late 70’s and 80’s it was a picture of urban blight.

Houston is a college town like Brownsville is a resort town.

I think Houston is a college town in the sense that when you step on campus it feels like it’s own city/town. It feels like you’re in another place when you’re taking classes there. Personal experience from staying there a couple of times going to parties there and studying there.

Agree on the campus part, I was there during my tenure at UH. And living on campus then leaving to experiment the actual city was very cool, Houston was a much grittier city back then and I liked it. (pre Starbucks, corner cafes, brewpubs, city center living, midtown, rice military, Heights revival, East downtown, etc).

But the article is about the city of Houston being a large metropolitan college town (city). I don’t see it at all. Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Miami, other large cities with colleges are not very college-like at all from my experience. The big metros are more exciting in many ways, but not like living in a college town where the whole area or region revolves around the school.

But hey, I guess since it’s not my article, here’s the Houston, TX … college town USA!

I heard they’re shutting all the factories down and it’s getting very hard to stay, but that intel could be a little old.

Until they bring back Greek life on Mcgregor, we ain’t a college town

2 Likes

Yeah a campus is it’s own little town.

Houston is a college town like Brownsville is a resort town.

Maybe they mean “University city”, not a “College town”? I can see Houston a University city in the same reasoning of that London, New York, and Boston as “University cities”: each are a Metropolitan city with a grouping of several schools somewhat close by with chance of intermingling and living cohesively with the rest of the city. They provide a significant return back into the city itself. I’d be surprised if Houston didn’t have more than 300,000-350,000 active students (full and part-time) each year.

Houston has:
Public

• UH (plus Katy and Sugarland), UHD (plus Northwest), UHCL (plus Pearland), TSU, UT Houston, & Prairie View (part of the metro area, plus Willowbrook)

Private

• St Thomas, Rice, HCU, North American University, Houston Graduate School of Theology

Junior College/Vocational

• HCC, Lone star, San Jacinto (plus surrounding area schools)

Separate Medical, Law, Business Schools, or Programs

• TAMU Bioscience, TWU HSC, UT HSC Houston, Prairie View Nursing, HCC Coleman, MD Anderson, Baylor College of Medicine, Memorial Hermann (CIRI), Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Veterans Affairs Medical programs
  • South Texas College of Law
  • UT Austin (Business School), A&M (Business School), & Cornell (Business School)
  • UT Tyler (Houston Engineering Center)

For-profits

• Strayer, American Intercontinental U

Then you can argue about the surrounding “gulf” areas like TAMU College Station, Lamar Beaumont, Sam Houston Huntsville, and UH Victoria.

Edit: I just realized that this post is almost a year old. :smiling_face_with_tear:

We are two different cities from a housing cost standpoint- inside the loop (the city) and outside the loop

True, why can’t it be college city vs always college town.