Houston Rise Campaign - Football Ops

I’m excited to see plans for what we can do with the alumni center. Very few other teams in the country have a Shell Space that nice in that large to build for their Olympic sports.
When I was in school in the early 2000s I actually had an epidemiology & Nutrition classes on the second floor of the alumni center. I doubt with all the new buildings on campus they need to use that for academics anymore.

2 Likes

As far as Sampson etc saying we’re 600 mil behind them bc big 12 members had 25 yrs of 30 mil more than us, I say we should only see how good their facilities are compared to us and what’s needed to be equal. The money the big 12 members got, they spent it all on coaches etc so it’s not like they have it in the bank. Once we join, we can pay salaries etc on their level in yr 3 etc. The main diff is how much of a gap between their facilities and ours exists money wise then that is the true costs as permanent investment that they are ahead of us. So once we do this ops building and have money to upgrade facilities from this $150 mil then I think we’re on par despite their being in the conf for 25 yrs before us. So my guess is we’re only 150 mil behind them then we’re caught up with them.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you are RWcoog. I am a teacher and coach also. My wife has indulged my U of H addiction for years, Cougar Pride, Life Alum and season tickets for football and basketball. The current people keep doing what you are doing, the key is to get more people to join the club and start supporting the program by donating what they can.

4 Likes

How do you know they will be entering from that side? I asked about that yesterday but I don’t think anyone responded.

Just remember, there are only 3 vowels in his name and the “O”'s go together. That is how I remember now because I used to do the same

I am thinking we will want to use our new facilities and enter from our new fancy locker rooms. This is the same change as our basketball made.

Huh? You mean people with endzone seat season tickets don’t count? What exactly do you propose, just tell them they have to pick new seats and hope they get something they like. Not to mention with the move to the Big 12, the better seats will go to those with higher priority rankings.

I saw reseating before at another school and there is still complaining a decade later by people that lost seats they liked and had for years.

FYI - student section wraps around to the 10 yard line so not just endzone.

As the dad of a player that was recruited and played in the Big XII for a minute, we have been to most of the Big XII schools in Texas and Oklahoma and seen their facilities. The only school that I would consider to have a vast lead over ours is OU. They have exactly what you would expect of an annual CFP contender. Baylor is breaking ground on a new football operations building this summer. Baylor’s facilities weren’t bad to start with, but I expect their recent success is going to allow them to take it up a few notches. Prior to our player leaving, Baylor had initiated a $1B Give Light campaign and they had some major donors step up. The football operations building had a $15M gift from one family. That $1B total is for the entire school and not just the athletics department. I feel the trio of Dr. Khator, Tilman Fertitta, and Coach Holgorsen are strongly aligned (ala CDH’s $1M contribution) to see to it that UH can compete with anyone in the Big XII and beyond when it comes to our athletics department. It is certainly an exciting time to be a UH Cougar!

25 Likes

Yeah so I don’t see us behind by $600 mil. We just need the ops building and some cash to keep up so the $150 mil should catch us

We’re not $600 mil behind

3 Likes

You like drama huh? Stopped reading after the aforementioned quote.

If you cannot understand why it would be an easier transition then sorry.

Houston’s GDP is a quarter of Texas’ GDP which is ranked 9th in the world. The Houston Metro alone would rank 27th in the world. That’s compared to whole countries. There’s a lot of money in Houston. We should be able to fund this, right?

4 Likes

Yep

That’s a very bad take, that’s how you build complacency; just like votes, every donation, big or small, helps/counts.

5 Likes

When I first glanced at this thread title, I thought I read… “Houston Rice Campaign”

I would guess 60k is not be possible anymore. Realistically we were probably never going that high anyway. Maybe one day 50-55k will be needed and make sense.

Saw the renderings on Baylor’s intended Fudge Football Ops Building which is quoted as costing $55 M. The proposed $75 Mil on UH’s new ops building should produce something at the top end of college football facilities. Though it’s hard to compare renderings, ours appears much larger. Also. I just added my contribution to Rise.

4 Likes

Texas is building a $150 million end zone facility. But you’re right. Compared to 90% of college football programs, our facility will be as good or better than most.

Texas has already built the end zone facility. If you recall, it looks like a cow’s uterus.

11 Likes

That gap was never included in the 60k expansion. The expansion comes from a third deck on the east end zone, and replacing the third deck on the north side to match the south side. Not sure about the west end zone now though.

1 Like

The original Astrodome capacity was 52,000 and we never had problems hosting UT, A$M, et al therein.

We can cram 44,000 into our current Stadium. We had that for Louisville in 2016. SRO.

Maybe add another 5,000 to 8,000 seats and declare victory.

5 Likes