Houston to the SEC?

Sure sounds like it.

Why does no documentation of this invite exist?

Sounds like Davalos was misinformed.

SEC had no reason to want us around the time that UT and aTm left. We were coming off 1-9-1, and 1-10 records in football, and our worst basketball teams in decades.

1 Like

Top 10 in 90, the season before, if poster recalls year correct, this meeting took place. Preceded ut $ a&m to b12 by a few years. Poster has imo’s that it was connected, but was a few years after

Then it shouldn’t be hard for someone to show some documentation on this invite.

I won’t believe Davalos otherwise.

Given the utter INABILITY of anyone to produce it, we can safely dismiss.

1 Like

Makes it easy to win internet battles.

You have an eyewitness … not good enuff… ii need DOCS!

Docs of invites that prob don’t get documented until after unofficially accepted

“I served on the Athletics Advisory Board from 87-94. Stan Binion and I were the two Board of Regent Nominees representing the BOR. We had an overview function of approving budgets, scholastics, hiring and firing coaches, and a macro guidance of the Athletic Department.
Rudy Davalos (AD and head of the Advisory Board) called me on a Wednesday Night (in 91 I think), calling an Emergency Meeting on Friday. We all showed up, and Rudy informed us that UH had been extended an offer to join the SEC along with A&M. We voted “Yes” 12-0. A &M and UH were to hold a joint news conference at 10am Monday to announce the move.
Well…A&M fish tailed. IMO, this weekend the Big 12 was formed in a smoke filled back room. No question. A&M cut the deal with Texas, preventing us from going to the SEC. IMO, we were probably on the inside track to join the Big12, but Governor Richards and Lt. Governor Bullock (Baylor/TT), exercised enough power to screw us out of the deal. We limped along in the SWC for the next year, while they “officially” formed the Big 12, but the die had been cast.
I was there. This happened. “
I guess technically correct that WE didn’t turn it down.” It’s not written in concrete, but looks pretty good to me…

4 Likes

We had an invite. I remember my Dad and his buddies talking about it at a game in the Dome one night. They all scoffed…

1 Like

There are two specific people named in that claim of an emergency meeting. Unless those two specific people corroborate, then it’s hearsay and likely untrue.

1 Like

just posting the eyewitness testimony someone left… if you want to call him likely a liar, that’s your prerogative.

Here’s the thing. If we had actually received a formal SEC invite in writing, we had accepted, and the SEC reneged, we’d undoubtedly have been in court.

The fact that we weren’t suggests that there was no such formal invite in writing.

As I said, show me something in writing, or NO SALE.

Perhaps Davalos anticipated an invite or heard rumors of an invite and held a vote just in case. Perhaps he and aTm had discussed the idea offline without a SEC invite in hand. But an actual formal invite in writing to join the SECZ at that time? Never. There would be a copy of that out there if it had happened.

1 Like

shift to technicalities in the discussion (no formal invite, no documents)… I get it… how to never have to admit one could possibly be wrong on the internet.

Nobody said there was a formal invite in writing (not how these things work)… nobody said both teams accepted informal invite, but whatever

3 Likes

If there was never a formal invite in writing, then by definition, we were NOT invited to the SEC, and people need to STOP falsely asserting so.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

We never received an invite. The idea that we had received one is fan fantasy, and nothing more.

1 Like

If the SEC was hellbent on inviting UH and the interest was mutual, how did A&M and Texas stop it? Texas couldn’t stop A&M from going to the SEC (and Vice versa).

1 Like

a&m and Uh were package, was the idea.

Idea at UH maybe.

Actual invite from the SEC, no.

1 Like

I get it… technicalities.

That’s not how conference invites would work BTW.

Hypothetical alert: If we get a call from the Mountain West saying we want you to join… If we accept they will formalize. If we decline, we technically never would receive a formal invite in writing, but we would have been invited.

was responding to the other guy

Something tells me that no such call from the SEC ever came.

Davalos probably believed something was possible, but it wasn’t.

Did you read:
“offer to join the SEC along with A&M”

With atm bolting the OFFER was dead. The SEC wanted to corner the Houston market. Is it that hard to comprehend? Do you think the SEC is going to publish, shout out everywhere what offer they had in the works?

2 Likes

Show me the documentation Bro.

It ain’t there.