How can we improve?

Here are some suggestions:

1. Give someone except Porter the bulk of the RB carries. Porter isn’t a tough enough runner and doesn’t hit the holes hard enough. He averaged only 2.9 yards per carry.

2. We need to work on our outside containment. There were so many times when Hurts, or another ball carrier, got around our ends and then it was basically off to the races.

3. Better open field tackling. Our DBs were arm tackling all over the secondary and giving up MAJOR yardage.

5 Likes

Recruit some DLinemen and linebackers that can play

4 Likes

Agree. Not having Patrick Carr hurt.

Always feels like Mulbah Car should get more playing time as well. I think @mbtex said it in the game thread…he just must not be a great practice guy.

6 Likes

Play M.Car more.

6 Likes

Porter had some nice moments including a nice catch and run on a check down but he seems like a feast or famine change of pace guy not a starting RB. Would prefer either vehicle brother for most of the carries. These P5 transfer RBs just don’t seem to live up to the hype. Patrick was a walk on (from the Buffs) and has been the best one.

2 Likes

Porter did have a few nice plays but Car hits the whole harder and has better balance between the tackles. He’s hard to pull down.

5 Likes

learn how to tackle

7 Likes

Run an offense that looks more like Keenum and less like Applewhite

1 Like

We were surprisingly ineffective on offense. Stevenson, Mulbah, and King were the only skill players who made an impact. Porter had a few moments but not overall impactful. We have to have more skill players making plays.

And we design ran King too much. All off-season CDH said he wouldn’t do that. Kudos to King for learning to slide or get out of bounds a few times. If King goes down we’re not bowl-eligible good it’s that simple.

1 Like

Dont come out flat is a good start. Play with an edge.

7 Likes

Recruit better players. Where are the defensive studs? Parish and #6 were the only guys that impressed me

2 Likes

Find our swag again!! We’ve lost the eye of the tiger! Miiiiiiiiiiiicccc!!!

1 Like

I have always wondered that, because he seems to run the best consistently and tough… but never starts… there has to be a reason why because our coaches are not dumb.

2 Likes

OP was right on. Outside containment x 1000.

1 Like

We won’t play in such a hostile environment again this year.

90,000 fans screaming at the top of their lungs against you. That will get to anyone, especially a team not used to it.

Not making excuses, Oklahoma is a very good team, but it’s the truth.

1 Like

So as long as we avoid big time programs we should be fine?

1 Like

We’re not there yet. In 2016 we were coming off an incredible season defeating Florida State, and returning almost every important position on our team while also bringing in a Top 5 5* Player (Ed Oliver) and a Top 25 Draft Class and playing at home.

This scenario was entirely different, just look at our OL and Defense. They can’t compare to OU’s guys. Applewhite recruited REALLY bad and our team has been so inconsistent. This is Kings 3rd offense he’s learned in 4 years…

Give it time. I fully believe we can beat almost anyone else on our schedule, I’m happy we have an easy game saturday we can prep against.

4 Likes

It’s been said that Mulbah does not know the entire playbook and where he should be. Also, he’s not a great blocker.

M. Car runs north/south and he has some meanness and anger to his game. I say give him the ball.