How does a QB get hurt on a spike play?

I’m at the game. I mean, how the freak does that happen?

1 Like

Well, a Tulane defender got a tad overzealous and dove for it, causing Greg to land hard on his arm. Dude had no business doing that, given how infrequently turnovers are forced on spike plays.

1 Like

Apparently my assessment is not completely accurate. CTH says the whistle didn’t blow. https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/797606563812933632

Ughh. Well if Greg is less than 75% right now, I don’t see how he gets much better by Thursday. What terrible luck.

While the referees were sucking on their whistles rather than blowing on them, it would have still been a spike since he took the snap under center and threw the ball down in front of himself. He did not need to recover the ball. Incomplete, clock stopped, play the next play.

CTH said the whistle didn’t blow and he teaches the kids to play until the whistle blows.

Was at the game and no whistle blew. I was under the impression that the slipped out or hit a foot but even hitting a foot, it would just be dead and a penalty.

Not sure about the whistle blowing or not, but it looked like when the Tulane guy made a play for the ball, Ward instinctively went to protect it. Not a bad instinct, just a bad result and unfortunately an unnecessary move.

Probably because he’s been playing hurt all season.Just aggravated what he’s been playing with

1 Like

Greg made a move to the ball before the defender did. (I’m watching a replay right now). My only thought is that the spike went off the back of a foot causing the ball to still be in play. Greg was also moving immediately after the ball hit the ground/foot, without time for a whistle to blow…The referee behind Ward also walked in, after both players dove, pointed to that area, and gave the incomplete signal…All of this is telling me that the ball didn’t hit the ground on the spike…

Could it have been called an incomplete pass

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/798194194581950465