How much does bb success help in getting a P5 invite?

With the Big 12 afraid of our competition i assume success any sport doesn’t help us get into that conference. But maybe for the others it helps

1 Like

That’s not true. Flight costs are based on seat miles, the more people flying to a destination, the lower the cost per seat mile. The cheapest flight I found from Boston to Morgantown, roundtrip for a weekend, was $534, whereas from Boston to Houston for same dates was $509. I didn’t check Southwest since they don’t fly to Morgantown. Remote areas cost more to get to.

Here’s an idea I just had. Why not just get rid of conferences in non revenue sports. Let the women’s basketball team play a schedule with a mix of local and national games. Its dumb to send the swim team across the country when they can just compete close by.

4 Likes

There is one guy that floated that idea on non revenue sports and to make them more regional which makes sense.

2 Likes

I understand the budgetary concerns, but I don’t see how bringing in WVU now, when you could have done that 8 years ago, would be attractive. If anything, WVU is less attractive than it was then. 8 years ago it was a football power and a basketball power. Now its mediocre in football and slightly above average in basketball.

Also, on a personal level, I used to live in Upstate NY (Corning) and went to Syracuse often to shop at Destiny Mall. Great town. Do you live in the Syracuse area or are you outside NY?

SMU, UH and Rice should all be P5 schools from Texas

Clemson is in the ACC… They value football there, too.

Not to mention FSU and Va Tech…

Not Rice.

5 Likes

But it just Clemson then the rest. If fla st or Miami gets there act together, it would help. I truly believe they value bb a lot in the Acc.

Without conferences, what would the non-rev sports play for besides national championship? No conference championships?

I think they would group them more regionally so they would still have a shot at a nc but I doubt it will happen but it makes sense.

Rice barely invests in their athletic program enough to be in CUSA plus their students and alums really could care less.

If they get a P5 has to be about something other than investment or growth by their administration. Plus there is a bigger school in Houston that does invest in their athletics.

A goof comparison for us is Tulane in the AAC. Yes, they are a prestigious private school in a big metro…but do they bring more “value” to our conference than a UH, UC, UM, or UCF?
I’d say…NO!

Rice just announced an expansion to their university, so we’ll see if athletics comes along

It matters zero to the Big 12 but it might to the others

1 Like

UH can bring positive vibes to a conference in a number of sports other than football and basketball.

Golf, T&F, Olympics, baseball

UH will be a very wealthy university within 10 years. That’s not just a goal. It’s happening.

#1 entrepreneurship
#75 Patents
Over $100 million per year contributions

IncubatorU

1 Like

Winning has nothing to do with getting invited. It’s all about what you bring to the table. Think of a conference as a business and the members as partners in that business. The money the conference makes is their salary. Nobody is going to take on another partner if it means they take a pay cut. They will only accept another partner if it increases their pay. How does Someone do that? Build a brand that has a following win or lose. Own a market that’s in demand etc… winning helps but you need more than just that unfortunately.

1 Like

Still fascinating that fans will post and keep posting 8000 threads about joining a P5 conference.

1 Like

Agreed, but they are just trying to keep hope alive.

1 Like

We make The Final Four from The AAC.

How would that improve if in another conference?

We will sellout all home games next season. How could that improve?

We can make a Major Bowl game in Football. New Year’s Day. How would that improve?

3 Likes

It would improve because we would make 30to 55 million dollars more per year, we would be in a multi bid conference with the added income from that, it would improve because we could go to a Jan 1 bowl without being conference champ, and we would be able to compete for a national title in football.

3 Likes