How the American is stacking up so far

I spent some time looking all the teams in our league. When you look at “good wins & losses” & stats, this is where I think it lines up so far. Tell me what you think!

HOUSTON
Memphis
Wich.St.
Cincinnati
UCONN
Temple
SMU
UCF
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
ECU

Any team in the top six could beat any of the other five on any given night. The top tier in this league is very solid (so far).

So what’s happening with ugone hoops side? We aren’t replacing them in b-ball?

cincy hasn looked good at all… if you remove preseason expectations and look at them they shouldnt be over uconn or temple at this point…debateable over smu aswelll

id also flip tulane and tulsa…beyond that thats how i would have had it

memphis should also probably be #1 …they are down like 3 key players (3 top 100 4star, one is the #1 recruit) and have been are 3-0 without them, including 2 good wins

id say anyone but ecu can beat anyone on any given night

usf started horribly but comfortably beat furman the other day (a projected nit)…tulane beat utah a likely NIT…

ecu beating anyone would be the only surprise

1 Like

Cincy played straight up with OSU in Columbus. It was a loss but from my perspective there wasn’t a lot of difference between the two. OSU got some calls late but the game was close.

UCONN looked bad vs. St. Joseph, Cincinnati played Ohio St. competitively. They are very close at this point, the advantage between them is who is home team that night. I think Temple is a little behind them right now. There is an argument to put Tulane above Tulsa but it is still Tulane!

i watch the cincy ohio state game…it was close becuase both teams looked very bad…ohio state has gotten better since that game…ohio state played a competitive game with a d2 in their exhibition right before Cincy ( note OSU is playing alot of freshmen, touted frehsmna but still freshman)…cincy has since lost to BGSU, needed a big comeback to beat Illinois st, needed a big comeback vs unlv.and blown out in a non competitive xavier game

uconn looked horrible vs st joes and that is the sole reason they arent #1, but they beat florida, blew out miami, and could have easily beaten top 25 xavier…they lost by 1 in OT…while uconn’s best 2 players went 4-25 in fg%, a decent game from either and they likely win…

ive said this in the aac forum but i think uconn is like ucf last year they will win on matchups…if you are heavily reliant on post points, their 2 bigs are dominant in the post, you will struggle to score…their block numbers are absurd (currently double anyone in the conference)…but if you watched the st joes game, st joes bigs were shooting 3s, for how good uconns bigs are in the post, they are terrible perimeter defenders …they cant guard 3pt shooters

I don’t mean to hijack this thread…and didn’t want to start a new one (although it definitely is worthy, I think)…but has anyone seen/heard from @pray10? I haven’t seen him around in quite some time. Always enjoy his level-headed perspectives and support of UH.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s been around since before Thanksgiving.

I hope things are OK.

3 Likes

I asked today and one of the admins said they would check on him.

4 Likes

This from the AAC official site:

2019-20 Men’s Basketball Standings|SCHOOL|CONF|OVERALL|
| — | — | — |
|Memphis Memphis|0-0|8-1|
|SMU SMU|0-0|8-1|
|Wichita State Wichita State|0-0|8-1|
|Tulane Tulane|0-0|7-2|
|Tulsa Tulsa|0-0|7-2|
|Temple Temple|0-0|6-2|
|UCF UCF|0-0|6-2|
|UConn UConn|0-0|6-2|
|Houston Houston|0-0|5-2|
|Cincinnati Cincinnati|0-0|6-3|
|USF USF|0-0|5-4|
|ECU ECU|0-0|2-7|

Agreed on Cincy, if you watch there games they haven’t looked that good. That Ohio St game was awful to watch from both sides. I would also put Tulane above Tulsa at this point. Tulsa’s wins have been against weak competition and they lost at home to Arkansas State. Tulane has at least a win over Utah at this point.

I don’t know how good Temple is since they beat USC on the road but lost to a Mizzou at home. USC beat TCU at home recently. UConn has definitely been a top 4 team in the league so far imo. They play Indiana tonight so they have another chance to improve.

Wichita State has been good but outside of Ok St (who was missing there best player) and West Virginia haven’t played much competition.

My list would be:

Memphis
Wich St
Houston
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
SMU
UCF
Tulane
USF
Tulsa
ECU

1 Like

I’m not sure I would put WSU that high right now. But definitely top five. This conference isn’t a bonafide perennial 5-bid league but it’s trajectory is in that direction. If we can continue to hold our coaches we’ll be that coveted 6-bid powerhouse one day. And that will pay off in spades in notoriety, preseason rankings, and swag sales…not to mention recruiting.

NCAA basketball has a powerful mystique.

2 Likes

Wichita has hands down the uglies logo in the AAC!

That award I’d give to Tulsa

Tulane

This is nightmare fuel…

2 Likes

Wichita St. copied our non-conf schedule or we copied theirs.

2 Likes