How to kill UH football

Just remember, those “few” RVs and Pavilions represented a couple thousand hardcore fans. Most of the big tailgate groups serve 100s of plates of food.

When Dana Dimmel was losing to Tulane in front a 12000 fans, it was the RVs and Pavilions that made the game fun.
Now where do we go when losing to Tulane…

You are assuming those fans don’t come any more, right? How do you know? I agree it’s fun and all but if we put our heads together we can come up with an alternative. I like the IPF idea. Why not pregame in there especially when it’s hot?

We have been to the Party on the Plaza along Cullen several times when we are not in our normal tailgate group in the parking lots. POTP is fun and we have gone into one Alumni group tent who requested $12 donation per person this year for food and drinks (including beer). Only went to the Pavilions a couple of times and from what I can tell POTP is just as much fun with just as many fans in attendance. One alum can take many guests.

2 Likes

I’m not assuming they aren’t coming to the game. I’m saying they aren’t coming with their RVs anymore. I know that by looking at the RV lot. That costs us donations and hurts the fan experience for a lot of people. It also ticked off a lot of long time donors.

Agree about opening the IPF. I’m not sure the school would go for it though.

I’ll take the ipf and new stadium v the Robertson set up. Don’t get me wrong. I loved attending games at the rob. They were some of the best times I had as a student during kolbs tenure. I highly doubt that top tier recruit’s concerns are how many rvs are in the parking lot or how the view of the city is from the stadium. What ultimately matters is attendance and commitment to staying relavent and up to date on facilities. Coaching helps too but it seems like some people are worried about the wrong things. We as fans of UH need to continue to support our sports teams wholeheartedly! If a view or parking spot really upsets you about this past season then I give you probs cause the offensive play calling was the most upsetting thing to me this season.

2 Likes

Don’t you know that the only reason we have a football program is to entitle the whiners with whatever they want?

1 Like

I agree that this medical school will have something that other don’t. Access to Bauer, and other great schools will be advantages.

1 Like

We tailgated right next to the RVs this year,

There were no more than 15 or so RVs for a single game and usually it was under 10.

I’ll add, the city of Houston-the business capital of Texas.

No not assuming, just wanted to raise awareness of the value that group of fans brought to the program.

Herman got the IPF where he wanted it. That was more important than displacing the RV lot and blocking the downtown view of a few thousand people.

There are a couple of takeaways from this

The first is that the university does not have a master plan.

The second is that the university doesn’t think about customer service. Or simply doesn’t place it as a priority.

Sure the rv lots and downtown view and amenities aren’t as important as winning. But in down years, of which UH has had many, customer service will help keep the fan base loyal.

Just look back at the dome years, winning kept it full. Not having tailgating of any kind didn’t matter but it sure didn’t foster any good will for the years when there were less than 10k people in the place.

So not having an rv community won’t kill the program. But it definitely doesn’t help the fan base to be treated like it doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

As a follow up to my own post, customer service is a definite issue. Someone upthread mentioned that the football team used to make thank you calls and now it’s soccer or another sport.

I used to get calls reminding me to renew my basketball season tickets. This year I received no call. I have to be sold to buy basketball tickets because it’s not something I seek out on my own. Heck, in the three most recent years I had season tickets i only went twice. So this year, no tickets for me and my family.

Uh would have had my basketball money if they had called. But they didn’t and they don’t.

2 Likes

The dome was rarely FULL. In fact, most years taking out the ut or a$m game, we averaged about 23K per game.

Some years, we averaged that with their game. Other teams in the SWC didn’t attract jack !!

Best years for Dome attendance was when it was new and when we entered the SWC…that was it.

Actually not surprising.

Some of the best crowds I can remember in the Dome was in the late '60’s when we played national teams mainly from the SEC.

Our biggest problem now, is being in a crap conference…IMHO !

2 Likes

No real reason RVs can’t be put on the South side of the stadium. The IPF is a needed upgrade for recruitment, but remember, just like the hoops practice facility, it is used by very few individuals on a regular basis. Why not throw the fans a table scrap or two on RV parking?

1 Like

At A&M the RV lots are 1 to 2 miles from the stadium, quit whining

3 Likes

That’s just so they can be closer to the pasture.

3 Likes

And we have the wins that Alabama has and the faithful fans that aTm has and the resources the Ohio state have. Because obviously if we are comparing rv lots then we are like them in every other way, too.

The real question is how far at the rv lots for Cincinnati or any of the other teams that are more like us.

2 Likes

I don’t think the point is how close to the stadium RV lot was I think the point is why kill something that was organically growing for a decade

2 Likes

We can all thank Tom Hermroid for this building & its placement.

The UH athletic administration didn’t really have a choice in this matter, unless, of course, we wanted to let him move on to Austin for a much more modest contract termination fee.