How will you be watching the Astros this year?

Last summer, I cancelled my YoutubeTV subscription and went with FUBO, as it was the only way I could get AT&T sports without signing up for basic cable. Switched back to YoutubeTV when football season started, as it’s a vastly superior platform for watching college football. Now I read that there is a possible shakeup of the Astros’ regional sports network. Does anyone have any advice for me or other 'stros fans?

1 Like

I have been watching spring training games on AT&T Sports with no interruptions.

I have Direct TV.

On nationally televised games… :grin:

I might buy the team pass since I’m out of market…

Xfinity

I went with ATT TV (now DirecTV Stream) in 2021 for the same reason.

It sounds like the Astros and Rockets will likely buy back the regional network, but I haven’t seen anything regarding whether they would still have the same carrier deal

RSN platform and MLB really screwed up exposure for us fans who would rather sign the one team subscription on MLB than going with FUBO or cable. The blackout rules have really put MLB in the stone ages as far as their platform goes. I tried last year to subscribe to MLB and use a VPN (because I’m in Houston) but the VPN was hit and miss.

I’m not going to fork over $70/month for cable or FUBO to get them.

I’ll just catch them when I can at my parents, use my MiniPlan to catch my 10 games in person or walk to the bar.

3 Likes

mlb tv from the mlb site is very good and not too expensive imo as you can watch any team and few games are blacked out. i joined to watch abert pujols last year after it looked like he had a shot a 700; only one game from 690 to 700 was blocked from the cardinals.

Thanks. My understanding is that since I live in the Astros’ market, I can watch every team other than them on MLB TV. Which is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard, but anyway…

4 Likes

I agree. Its stupid.

2 Likes

Does a VPN work?

I’ve heard it does but you need a damn good one.

Yep. And the “home market” for MLBTV blackout purposes isn’t just the Houston area - it’s all of Texas and Louisiana.

I’ve had FUBO for quite some time (I watch a LOT of soccer) and I recently added Apple+, so I think I’m set. Only problem with FUBO is they don’t carry TNT, TBS or TruTV so March Madness is a bummer, and I miss a lot of the MLB playoffs, too.

I live in Tennessee, so I’ve been able to watch them since 2014 through MLB.TV. It’s $25/month.

On Xfinity cable, as I have for years now.

Will YoutubeTV have the Astros?

No. FUBO, DirecTV, or Xfinity are your only options if you live in the market unless you want to pay top dollar for a VPN they might not work every time if you subscribe to MLB.

I think the there are a couple issues here with RSNs. NESN and YES really set the market and created unrealistic expectations for the rest of Basketball/Baseball teams looking for a per subscriber price that was never going to get reach those heights. Also, cable cutting was all the new rage when contract negotiations were going on for a lot of RSNs.

Eventually MLB is going to be the sole provider for 2/3rds of the teams in the league. Im wondering how they’re going to build the platform through this with so many different streaming services out there. I’m hopeful it’s with a big carrier like Amazon or Netflix that’s an extra $10/month or something.

Im wondering if there is a platform for the Texans/Rockets/Astros to create a network and pull in the podcasts, live feeds for local radio shows at bars in Houston instead of hiring their own crews to set up cheesy promotions and interviews with players/coaches.

2 Likes

Damn. I hate Fubo. Such a mess.

1 Like

Let’s all chip in and re-launch HSE….only 1/2 kidding

3 Likes

I think that is one of the only thing everyone agrees on. Rob Manfred seems like he agrees too and is working on getting rid of it. Obviously not an easy thing to do with contracts and such. But if you have T-Mobile you get MLB TV free.