Hydrogen seen powering Texas economy

If it weren’t for politics, Houston could establish itself as the true energy capital of the world. Unfortunately, most of the support for renewable growth is coming from the democrats and not the republicans.

I’ve seen where the Toyota Mirai uses a hydrogen tank with a working
pressure of 10,000 PSI or 70 MPa . That seems like a really high pressure to me.
For perspective, consider the wreck of the Titanic sits at a depth of 12,500 feet with only ** 6,000** PSI.

A little more on the Type IV tanks that are required for hydrogen at this pressure.

And then on the other option is solid state batteries that seem to be really getting close
to being reality. Research is pointing to end user availablity in 2025. This article discusses that
and the problem of Electric Double Layer (EDL) effect.

And NASA release on new SSB that can power airplanes.

Why not try and champion fusion as an energy source? I’m sure the EV detractors will also go against UH getting government funding for hydrogen, like they are against EV incentives from the government?

On a state level, Houston and University of Houston should have been the epicenter of
petroleum enigeering and geo-physics and future energy fuels. I fault the horn and aggie
politics for that not happening.

As for as renewables, Texas has done a great job getting wind and solar renewables into the
grid while the state leadership has been solid republican for 40+ years. It is odd though how
our politicians will be the first to throw rocks at renewable energy when in a bind or to score
points that register with their voters. An amazing trick they pull off. I prefer to think of renewables as something you would have to be stupid to ignore. And RoW is on board or even moving faster. I don’t like to think in terms of red or blue.
But the red crowd is careful to not tout renewables too much, but on national level there was
support to get all the stuff Biden got pushed thru.

Honestly, I’m doubtful fusion will be commercialized in 50 years. Tokamak seems
way too complex and while the laser based inertial hydrogen fusion has made rapid progress recently in significantly crossing the breakeven boundary , they have to be able commercialize that process that can be repeated dozens or hundreds of times a second and not one shot every 6 months. They may get there but Im doubtful either will be in my lifetime.

Hydrogen may become the stock fuel for burning at electricity generating plants in place of
coal or natural gas.

EVs of today can capably deliver 240 mile range and recharge at home over night, You can do cross country trips, but you need to book an extra 25% travel time in your schedule. I’m guessing
for 85% of drivers, the 240 mile range is way sufficient. And the near future looks really bright
for EVs with next generation batteries. Or perhaps EVs are the transition step for next 10-20
years until hydrogen fuel cell cars catch up with a comparable infrastructure.

1 Like

Even if fusion reactors do pan out, there will be no market for them if the costs are not competitive. Simpler fission reactors are not price competitive now.

1 Like

And it requires no drilling so the anti EV crowd hasn’t latched on to it.

Came across this on UH and the new energy collaboration.

1 Like

“It makes much more sense to feed that renewable energy directly into the grid or to use excess energy to charge batteries,” he said.