I hope Holgorsen understands the opportunity he has

OK, I went and copied the OL’s from the current UH site at 6:55pm Jun 22, 2021 and this is the list now. I don’t know which may be walk-ons. What I posted above about the free year skewing who would be seniors, juniors, sophs, etc. still holds but the numbers differ. It seems there has been several changes since my previous effort.
|53|Bowman, Derick|OL|6-5|270|Fr|
|54|Atkins, Joshua|OL|6-4|290|Fr|
|58|Nnanna, Ugonna|OL|6-4|265|Fr|
|59|Walker, Carson|OL|6-4|280|Fr|
|62|Cossey, Gabe|OL|6-6|330|Fr|
|63|Faminu, James |OL|6-6|350|Fr|
|72|Crim, Almarion|OL|6-3|285|Fr|
|76|Paul, Patrick |OL|6-7|305|Fr|
|55|Todd, Chayse |OL|6-2|290|R-Fr|
|73|Johnson, Cam’Ron |OL|6-4|291|R-Fr|
|61|Johson, Benil|OL|6-3|290|So|
|74|Unije, Reuben|OL|6-5|305|So|
|79|Jenkins, Tank|OL|6-3|350|So|
|71|Banes, Max |OL|6-5|301|R-So|
|75|Freeman, Jack |OL|6-3|295|R-So|
|70|Boatman, Jordan |OL|6-6|325|JR|
|65|Russey, Kody|OL|6-1|290|Sr|
|64|Bardwell, Dennis |OL|6-7|310|Sr|
|77|Murphy, Keenan |OL|6-3|298|Sr|

Let me get this straight. People on this board are upset that Briles, Sumlin and Herman left UH for Power 5 positions and didn’t like the circumstances each left. And now the Coogs have a head football coach that left a Power 5 job to come here and actually wants to be here and a good number of people on this board want to run him off after only two years.
Patience Grasshopper.
John Wooden didn’t coach UCLA basketball to its first national championship until his 16th season in Westwood.
Tom Landry didn’t have his first winning season until his seventh season as Cowboys head coach.

19 Likes

Thanks Richard - what a breath of fresh air…and some reasoned thinking.

I know a lot of people are disappointed with the won-loss record over the past 2 seasons and I as well. But coach has a plan and is stock piling talent. We have redshirted a good number of players and depth is improving.
But this is a crucial season and the schedule is full of winnable games. I would like to see the offense generate more yards and points.

2 Likes

That’s what I don’t understand, like Dana has had success as a head coach in a harder conference for 8 years. He’s proven to be a good coach. He wants to build this program from the ground up and not just come here for 4 years and leave. I don’t know why everyone wants to get rid of him so fast.

9 Likes

Because some people are so agenda driven they would rather feel right than enjoy the possibility of success.

2 Likes

1 Like

he took over a program that was 11-2 #6/5, 11-2 #10/10, 11-2 #6/6, 9-4 #na/23, 9-4 #23/25, 9-4 unranked, in the prior 6 seasons with 2 different coaches

he was 10-3 #18/17 in his first season then unranked for the next 4 seasons then 10-3 #17/18, then unranked, then 8-4 #22/20

so he was ranked half the time the prior two coaches were ranked in 33% more seasons

he was never ranked in the top 10 at all

the coach he took over for was there 3 seasons (before holgar helped stab him in the back) and that coach won 9 games all 3 years…in 8 seasons dana only won 9 games or more 2 times (both 10 win seasons)

he had one losing season and 3 seasons that were 7-6

so there is nothing that shows he is an amazing head coach or that he is a major builder or rebuilder of programs

in fact his record shows that he can take over a program and overall drop it down a level over the long term while oscillating between slightly into the top 25 and a losing season or a barely wining season

he was also 2-5 on bowl games so there is nothing that shows he knows how to finish off a season on a roll into the next season

and I am sure one will try and argue that he did that in a “tougher conference”, but those are the same people that will also try and argue on other threads that the AAC now (which consist of mostly teams that moved from the CUSA) is “P6” and how great the Big East was going to be if it had stayed together especially with UH in it…so trying to talk down the Big East of the past that mostly moved on to the ACC to help explain why dana stepped down in overall consistency and consistent winning in the Big 12 should really fall on deaf ears when that argument comes from those that also talk up the old Big East (and the AAC) when trying to talk “P6” now or to pretend there was really any carryover from the past quality of the Big East to the current AAC

he certainly did not “build up” from the three years in a row and two years ranked 9-4 teams at WVU and he did nothing in the way of consistency at WVU in fact he was highly inconsistent

4 Likes

Do you, and the rest of the Dana haters on here actually believe that CandyApple would have produced a descent additional year since he would have, once again, been searching for a OC ? ? ? ? ? He was handed a short straw when his boss left with his best recruits, and he was blessed with an OC whom many on here did not want to be on campus.

We’re talking about Holgorsen, not Applewhite.

1 Like

No one knows. But since all Holgi apologists can do in his defense is cry about Applewhite, I’ll try to answer the question. I have no idea what Applewhite would have done. However, what he should have done, if given the opportunity, is become his own OC. He needed to put himself in position to get credit for the offense. Herman gets the credit for the UH offense, but Herman badly missed Applewhite at UT. UH hiring Applewhite is the worst thing to happen to Applewhite’s career (and Frankly, Herman’s also) because they didn’t give him three years. Look, I love UH. But that action was dispicable. You don’t hire a rookie head coach and fire him after two winning seasons. I don’t care what record he would have had. UH was wrong, and we deserve the negative karma and ramifications for screwing Applewhite over.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t talking about Dana at all and haven’t brought him up all thread.

Personaly, I’m looking forward to how short-sighted and unintelligent the Dana haters will look after a couple of 10 win seasons. I don’t think that too many will be man enough to admit they were wrong.

I would love that. Despite being called a Dana hater, I actually like him. I was as excited as anyone when we landed him. I had wanted him to be HC here pretty much since he left as OC.

That said, I don’t see things going nearly as well as some and have lost confidence in Dana at this point. But I’d love to be wrong.

Will anyone admit they were wrong if he starts winning big? Probably not many. But the same will be true from the other side of this issue if he fails and gets fired.

3 Likes

You have no data to support your position. I love how you deem the haters as unintelligent. We are the ones actually looking at the data like recruiting rankings, continuous coaching changes, etc. You are living off hopium and somehow annointing yourself an intellectual superior? Where is your data, genius?

The honest truth is that this season is going to depend on QB. If we get the same level of QB play we got the past two seasons, we are in for more disappointment. It’s as simple as that.

3 Likes

Hey listen. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again.

The dude needs to win nine or more games.

If he does, then believe me, I’ll back off the naysaying, give up the skepticism, and get back on the bandwagon I was on when we first hired him. I’ll be the first one to congratulate him and acknowledge that he had a plan that worked. I’ll again be excited about our future.

As the Polly prez, I firmly believe it’ll happen.

But after this last season, one can’t help but be a little critical……and even a little skeptical.

4 Likes

Anti CDH coogfans

That is it. It’s official.

Even before the season started anti CDH coogfans had enough. Here is the latest from coogfans central.

3 Likes

Is that a couple of 10 win seasons over 8 years as a coach at UH with a 4-8 season and three 7-6 seasons mixed in? Along with 8-4 and 8-5 seasons as well? So basically 2 seasons out of 8 that you keep your job at UH and 6 seasons out of 8 that get you fired at UH.

Or is the expectation a couple of 10 win seasons in a row and then he moves on because of the “haters”? Or is the exception about going 7-6 or worse half the seasons you coach and keeping your job there for dana because well, because no good reason.

1 Like

Easy to know that Dana is on the hot seat this season.

He has greatly improved the talent. Obviously.

We are in a Conference that will almost for sure give UH an annual shot at making the 12 team National Playoff.

No way that our Administration will keep Dana if he does not produce great results on the field.

I’m sure this thread has opened his eyes. The conversations he has had with Pez and Dr. K probably just rolled off his back and were ignored. I am so glad this 473rd anti Holgerson thread was created. S/O

5 Likes