I’m rooting for D’Eriq King at Miami

Who?

4 Likes

This is something I have to agree with. Especially those who already hold a degree and want to take their extra year as an opportunity.

Speaking for myself, I had a few options for graduate school. Either remain at UH, keep working on my projects there and keep working on this spirit org, or hand it off to someone else and advise from afar. I can always come back to UH for a different graduate degree, but when COVID struck and a bunch of programs offered deferrals, I took a one year program at the Evil Empire that was pretty damn hard to get into. It’s all about opportunity and people doing what is best for themselves. When I hang up my degrees on the wall, the UH one will be front, top and center. The other ones can be off to the side. Go Coogs.

The way I feel about it is that the NCAA made it difficult for student athletes to transfer while their million dollar coaches could come and go and get their next employer pay their large buy-outs while the kids they recruited were constrained and one of the biggest criteria kids attend a university are the coaches that recruited them. Finally, transferring is more favorable to the student athlete. They are just following what they feel is the best situation and opportunity for them. I don’t get grown middle age men frowning upon student athletes looking for a change for a better environment for them.

Regarding DK, he delivered for UH across 3 HCs, 4 OCs and he graduated and he exercised his right for a 5th RS year. Grad school at Coral Cables on scholarship and South Beach 15 minutes away playing football for a 5th year, not a bad gig.

Besides, UH under Dana has benefited far more with the portal than UH has been hurt by it. We have nothing to complain about.

4 Likes

At The Evil Empire, I hear that the entrance exam for the Black Hat Degree is administered by Hedley Lamarr…:smiley:

1 Like

Under the circumstances I have no problem with King leaving when he did…now if he led the coaching staff to believe he was staying, well, then shame on him…at the very least the young man lied throughout the process…
But I guess that is a good point, he is a young man…
And oh yeah, I wish him well but could care less about Miami football…

1 Like

Not going to lie, if everything was the same and I was back to being 22 years old, I would probably rather do grad school at Miami than UH. I doubt King cares about grad school though and there is no chance I would root for him.

There is just a difference for me between Charles Sims vs D’Eriq King and TaShawn Thomas vs Joe Young. Sims and Thomas made a move to benefit themselves, but did it in a respectful way. King and Young made the program look bad and lied during the process.

1 Like

I did grad school and would not have done it anywhere else. Although the surroundings in Miami are really nice! That said, he could have handled it a lot better and with such a major decision, adult support would have been warranted There fore the Dad is culpable.

Am I misremembering? I thought Sims left during the Spring and made UH re-do their marketing campaign that featured him as a major contributor for the next season. I am not faulting him (or King) but I don’t recall people being too pleased around UH at the way he left.

3 Likes

I guess you can say he should have announced a month or so earlier. I didn’t see any issue the way he left. Still sucked for us and I wasn’t happy he was leaving, but our program wasn’t great at the time and he got into a better situation.

Yes, it was mostly about the timing. Could have used the transfer portal back then!

That was probably an easy jump for him for he joined Dana.

Sims leaving was complete bull in how he handled it. We supported him in time of personal and medical needs. Helped him get into school, helped in crisis and had put him front and center to be the face of the team his Sr season.
He allowed people looking for their only self interest that he needed to leave UH to realize his full potential and get paid. He vanished like a ghost overnight.

5 Likes

I’ll follow DK this year at Miami. Primarily from an interest stand point and see if he improves with his throwing and overcome all the throwing issues he had last year.

1 Like

Gawd…I hope that some of you can restrain yourself for posting every little thing about DK. He left us. Bye-bye.

6 Likes

Charles, I think you know the answer to that question. Some people just like to poke the bear.

I kind of have the “once a Cougar, always a Cougar” mindset when it comes to players (not so much coaches), so I hope King does well. My gut feeling, however, is that it’s going to be a bit of a rough road for him, because Miami isn’t an exceptionally talented team at all.

Once a Cougar always a Cougar…unless you leave and become something else.

2 Likes

Once you graduate from the University of Houston you are an alumnus and always will be. So, I would say King will always be a Coog like every other graduate. Many die hard Coogs got their post graduate degrees elsewhere.

4 Likes

Forgot he graduated, my bad. So once a Coog always a Coog applies.

3 Likes