I think we'll go 11-7 in conference

Yeah, 11-7 would not be terrible. I’m hoping for 12-6, which would be very good.

2 Likes

ESPN projects we will go 15-3. I think we will do one better and go 16-2.

ESPN projected the Iowa State game as being the one with our lowest chance of winning (we were still favored to win though).

2 Likes

I highly doubt UH goes 16-2 in the Big 12. This isn’t the AAC. Kansas has a good season and goes 13-5 in the conference. If UH comes out of conference play with 5 losses consider it a great first season

5 Likes

Texas came out of the conference last year 12-6 and made it to the Elite 8.

1 Like

In what reality is seven losses a disaster? Here’s the standings last year:

You’re saying that if we have the same conference record as the #11 & #15 team in the country, it will have been a DISASTER. You’re hoping for 14-4 at the worst. Ridiculously ungrounded take.

5 Likes

I’ll gladly toke on some of that sticky icky you’re smoking!!!

Ain’t NFW UH going to lose just 4 games in this league. More like 8-9 likely and finish 3-5 in the league

If we have NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP aspirations and we lose 7 games in the Big 12, then we still have some building to do.

I can see 5 losses

If that happens, we’ll be in the exact same situation as last year’s NATIONAL CHAMPION UConn, who started 14-0 and lost 7 games in conference play. This isn’t the American. We are going to lose conference games.

2 Likes

The very last NCAA champion, UCONN, lost 7 conference games. It isn’t the norm, but still.

2 Likes

13-5 won’t surprise me.

That’s 12-4 the rest of the way.

2 Likes

Same

11-7 seems reasonable for how thin our rotations are with TA hurt and with how top-heavy the talent is this year, especially offensively. After losing Mark, Sasser, and Walker I really question why we didn’t try to get more proven offense outside of Cryer in the transfer portal (or, if we did try, why more players didn’t want to come here.)

As it stands, only having 2 or 3 guys (if you count Shead) on the entire team who you could even remotely call “scorers” is going to make for a tough, exhausting run through this conference (especially if Wilson continues to get real minutes and if Dunn continues to look like he’s never played basketball above the YMCA level before.)

1 Like

Just curious, though: How many college basketball teams have more than two or three reliable scorers? By that, I mean guys who, if they score 20 in a game, it’s not surprising.

On this year’s Cougar team, either Cryar or Sharp is going to be the leading scorer in most of our games. If one of those guys is cold, we’ll struggle to win. If both are cold, we’ll almost certainly lose. That makes us like every other good team in America, imo. The advantage we have is our defense, rebounding and grit will enable us to win a few of the games when even those guys aren’t on their A game.

4 Likes

I think that was supposed to be Dunn…

5 Likes

Real issue in conference is the teams we only play once. It is fairly unbalanced with home and road.

HOME

33 Texas Tech
73 K State
124 Okie State
195 West Virginia

AWAY

4 BYU
12 Baylor
19 Oklahoma
36 TCU

I just see that as ultra optimistic. Kansas has averaged 5 conference losses a season over the last 5 years. Take out the conference champion and conference losses add up to 6-10 per team. This conference is a ridiculously brutal grind and you are going to lose games. Road wins the in the B12 are a bonus; they’re hard to come by.

The only team with a positive away record in the B12 last year was Kansas. Year before that Kansas and Baylor

I think we drop 6-7 as OP said. Doesn’t mean we aren’t a good team, we are just going against other really good teams.

While the offense started horribly and couldnt close it out, we played a really really good defense last night.

Defensive Rankings
KenPom. UH 1, ISU 5
https://kenpom.com/

T Rank’s Defensive Ratings UH 1, ISU 5

TeamRanking’sTeam Defensive Efficiency- UH 1, ISU 2

Opponents OTrg UH 1, ISU 2
TOV% ISU 1, UH 2

BPI’s Team Defense UH 1, ISU 3

Guys, we all know that the Big 12 is a very tough and balanced league, and that ISU is tough as snot at home, in addition they are close to being the best defensive team that we will see this year. The turn around dagger prolly is missed 90% of the time. No doubt we are going to take some hits in conference play. Realistically I’m thinking 12 wins, if we get a few bounces go our way that number could grow to 14. We do have a really good basketball team. We will learn from, and be better because of that loss. EATEMUP!

2 Likes

If only the doomsday Coogs could read…

1 Like

Yeah, god he has been disappointing (I will say, though, his performance in past years was… spotty, to say the least. Beat up on a lot of bad teams and didn’t do much against good teams. Not a great shooter, either.)