Inside the CFB 'Super League' pitch some execs see as a way to save the sport

Save the sport? Hopefully there are some financials involved in that article.

PS: saw Mandel tweet that it’s a super league of 80 teams. We can make the top 80, right? We can make it right?!?

3 Likes

Right? Lol.

(Mods please delete if this isn’t allowed)

• Includes all 130+ FBS universities.

• First division of 70 teams - all members of the five former major conferences, plus Notre Dame and SMU.

• Current first division teams are permanent members.

• Broken down into “seven 10-team divisions, joined by an eighth division of teams that would be promoted from the second tier.”

• “The 50-plus second-division teams would have the opportunity to compete their way into the upper division” via promotion and relegation.

• The 70 permanent teams would never move down.

I like all of it except I think all programs should be eligible for relegation

2 Likes

lol did it really call out SMU? Aren’t they ACC in included in the P5

If UH is one of the 70 permanent teams, then I could get down with that.

4 Likes

They want to save the sport? Then go back to pre 1984. Otherwise these bunch is another overly paid hypocrite elitists telling us what is good for us.
It is crystal clear. You have 10 FBD Div I leagues with some independents. Recreate the regional rivalries. That in itself will save the sport.

8 Likes

This sounds like a load of BS

No way the SEC/B1G would ever agree to this lol

1 Like

Similar article said the same and that the sec, big10 and big 12 declined the meeting. Yeah no way they give up their conference name and leverage. It’s a decent model that is inclusive at least.

According to the article, the ACC Board of Directors heard a presentation, but planned dinners with administrators from the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all were called off.

What do they mean “save the sport”. CFB is fine.

1 Like

Are we going to equate the SEC and Big 10 as the English Premier League and La Liga?

This will just make all the good coaches and recruits funnel to those two conferences.

Looking forward to seeing “Landry’s Steak and Seafood” plastered across the front of Coogs’ jerseys.

3 Likes

What is la liga?

Spanish equivalent to the English Premier League

This honestly seems like the most optimistic long-ter. outcome, and I’d love to see it. I am extraordinarily skeptical that the B1G/SEC will buy in, though, and I’d also be concerned about antitrust violations.

its spanish for “the league.”

1 Like

La Liga de college futball.

1 Like

If you follow soccer there was a proposed breakaway of the top teams in Europe from EPL (England), La Liga (Spain), and Serie A (Italy) back when it was announced in 2021 because the big teams wanted more money similar to what is happening now in college football.

EPL/La Liga/Serie A was like the equivalent of the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 since they drew the most viewers.

Thankfully there was so much backlash that it fell apart is less than a week.

1 Like