Is all forgiven if we are 7-1 going into USF?

Hehe. I was just trying to get some people nervous on here! :grin:

I think it may be $8.5M just to buy him out as of Jan 1, 2022.

I think RTCoog said we would be on the hook for 60% of his remaining contract after this season. Which would be $4.8M. I haven’t read his contract, but RTCoog is usually on top of these things.

1 Like

Applewhite was 7-1 after 8 games the year he was fired. This year would be a little different but nothing is forgiven that quickly.

Most people aren’t mad about one game either. It’s a trend and has been going on for 2+ seasons.

In any event, no chance we are 7-1 this year.

8 Likes

I think it’s 60% of the $8.5MM mentioned above (instead of $8MM) after reading again. That doesn’t change the buyout much. It’s ~$5MM.

That would also be paid out over 2 years.

7-5 would mean that SMU and Tulane have surpassed us. We have already been passed by Memphis and Cincinnati. 7-5 is bad.

Say that out loud if you have been a coog fan for 20 or 30 or 40 plus years. SMU and Tulane have in the same time, with the same pandemic, the same new coaches, the same ‘cupboard was bare’ situations with less facilities and less money spent on coaching, have passed us.

That just doesn’t sit well.

5 Likes

We are moving up to the Big 12. Tulane, SMU, and Memphis are staying in CUSA 2.0.

Even after the Tech loss. I feel much better about the future of our program knowing we are getting out of the AAC.

6 Likes

Would be a lot of money. But if anyone hates losing, it’s Tilman. We’ll see what happens.

With the tech loss we will be right above Kansas in the worst spot in the big 12.

What has Dana done to show you he is ready to climb above Kansas State? TCU? tech? BYU? UCF? Those are the teams we are looking up at in the new big 12.

1 Like

Agree. Some of the money would likely be offset though with excitement of a new coach and improved performance. I’m also not sure we would pay the next coach $4MM/year.

Plus would we save on that $1mm bonus for P5?.. or perhaps can’t be considered savings, as we wouldn’t have to pay that if we let him ride out the contract before joining B12 in 2023.

And one of the media’s reported reasons that UH was selected to move up (and they were not) is the fact that UH was willing to spend more on coaches salaries to support our football program. On the field results are less important than some folks on here seem to think.

I think that one is locked in once we’re invited.

I don’t see it that way. Watch what happens to our recruiting in Houston.

On field results might not matter to getting in the bug 12. For our fan base just getting the the big 12 doesn’t mean more than 20k show up to see us play Kansas, k state or iowa state.

It means a lot to the fan base to win.

There is nothing that Dana has done over his tenure here that suggests he is remotely capable of winning six games in a row. The board would have a much different pulse at that point, but that’s not going to happen. We are talking about a fantasyland scenario. One would have to be completely high on hopium to believe we can win six in a row under Holgi.

6 Likes

I think you are overhyping the recruiting situation. We are in the lower half of the big 12. Near the bottom. It is going to take more than a patch on the Jersey to get recruits. As of right now I don’t see anyone on the staff that is going to rock the recruiting world. I also don’t see them developing talent on the offensive side at the rate that is needed to beat a team like Tech.

As of right now a reboot is needed. That could change by the end of the season. But 7-5 will be dismal. Pez built this schedule for us to put wind up regardless of the wet paper bag of teams we are playing. And now we are justifying 3, 4 or 5 losses to this schedule? Without the 3 best teams in the conference playing us.

I think 9 wins is the basement for year 4.

2 Likes

Although the hopium / copium bit is played out, I may be under the influence, b/c I don’t think 6 in a row is out of the realm with our sched. I wouldn’t bet on it, but I’m holding out hope.

2 Likes

Anyone should.

(Replies to own post)
 however, I might be willing to sacrifice one or two of those if it meant getting an “it-factor” backup (if we have one) up to speed. If nothing else to help prevent us from getting owned by the MWC in a bowl game again.

1 Like