Is It Dawning On Us That Our 2022 Team

might be better than this year’s Final Four squad?

I am starting to get that idea. Our incoming recruits, plus the transfers, look like an infusion of major talent. More than capable of replacing Deeky, Gorham, and Grisham.

Replacing Grimes not very easy but perhaps we get adequate production at his position and improved production at the other 4 positions?

I am pumped for 2022!

6 Likes

I’m fairly certain our defense will be almost as stout. Tough to replace Jarreau’s lockdown abilities, though. If the new guys can help avoid the offensive droughts we went through last season, I’d say you might be on to something. It feels like the coaching staff identified weak points in our 21-22 team and have targeted players that might cut down or eliminate those areas. Will be a fun team to watch when it starts clicking for them…which is hopefully Game 1.

7 Likes

One can only hope!

I agree that replacing an All-American like Grimes won’t be easy, but we could conceivably be as good or better everywhere else, and with a few more top transfers, might be deeper.

Can you say…NCAA TITLE???

2 Likes

we lost our leading scorer and our best defender/ team leader. We are going into next year with transfers and uncertainty, so no, this team will not be better than our Final Four team.

13 Likes

more than capable of replacing grimes deeky and gorham??
you know what… i wont ruin the fun… preseason is the time for this!

9 Likes

Sampson preaches Defense, Rebounding and Taking Care of the Ball.

Losing Gorham is a major hit to rebounding. Maybe White can help fill that void?
Losing Jarreau is a major hit to taking care of the ball.

While I am pumped for 2022, I am concerned about veteran leadership running the offense. Hopefully, someone is ready to be that steady hand.

1 Like

Definitely we’ll need a few surprise step-forwards in talent. Gorham made a huge leap last year to this year. We’ll need that from some combo of Mark, Sasser and/or White.

1 Like

White started over Gorham before he was injured… He’ll be better than Gorham was this year.

2 Likes

Mark and Sasser are ready and I think Shead will be a lot better next year, too… He showed flashes of brilliance this year.

Combine that with our post players and we’re looking really good… Replacing Deeky’s D and leadership will be the hard part.

3 Likes

Too soon

1 Like

Which team? Before or after Mills left

2 Likes

I know it’s a sensitive subject…but seeing us reload in basketball will make the wait 'til the 21-22 season a little bit shorter and the football season much more enjoyable (takes a ton of pressure off of my football expectations).

1 Like

Who knows how things play out next year.

Last year’s team saw some vast improvement from some of the kids, but another big reason for a lot of their success is the majority of the team played with each other for awhile. Not saying it can’t be replicated but how fast the newcomers mesh with the vets will play a huge role on their success next season.

1 Like

The one thing people aren’t talking about enough is NO COVID!! You got to remember our players and especially freshman freshman had no off season, no pre season games/scrimmages, less games than normal, and to top it all off way less practices. I think with a full off season, pre season games, more practices, and more regular season games, we can be better than our final four team. We are definitely more talented I will say(but let me hold off to see who else we get in transfer portal). But Chaney Mark Roberts Shead Powell all have a full year playing cougar basketball, I expect all of them to make a big jump. Sasser will take over next year and make that Corey Davis jump when gray left. Fabian will be a 5th year senior. Adding in a athletic freak and all defensive senior with Taze Moore who had a 48/52/88 shooting % split. A 7 foot center who’s best year was a 9 6 and 2 blocks a game(and we know Sampson will get his best) in Josh Carlton. And bringing in another guy Lewis winner in Walker, a guy who started on a top 5 team in nation with Robbie, and a guy who played on the best team in the nation(although we all think Francis sits). If we end up getting at least one of Edwards or Kopp, we are going to be a really issue for teams. And if we get both I think we are a final four team once again

9 Likes

Sampson clearly stated that we will be back to The Final Four. Clearly stated.

I take him at his word. He knows what his team returns and what new talent is arriving.

With White, Chaney, and Carlton we have Senior shot blockers. And White, at least, can shoot.

The Guard lineup is looking exceptional. Mark could really blossom. And Sampson is still recruiting Guard transfers.

A “Program”. Our forever dream.

3 Likes

Top 15 if we add Edwards and Kopp.

1 Like

What would be the next season classifications for Edwards and Kopp?

1 Like

Both would be juniors.

1 Like

I say top 10 if we do. We will be back at a 2 seed

1 Like

How about if we land Baker ?

1 Like