Ja'Vier Francis' Development

Agreed, he threw those numbers up against weak sisters. I have been frustrated about UH’s lack of ability to recruit enough decent post size players - since Penders was coaching [ if Penders would have had some decent size in the post he would have been a tourney team every year]. And this year’s team - is starting to look like those guard heavy Penders teams. We have had this problem for 2 decades … bad ass college game tourney run worthy guards w/out enough 4-5 position size to help them in the post … anyone remember Gee Gervin …

The only point of this post was to say - I do not think Javier is a terrible offensive player - and as a fan - all I can do is hope some of that offense shows up next year against the real competition… because waking up every day and hoping that i’ll see the saviour big man transfer announced on this board … probably is not in reality at this point.

1 Like

I’m starting to wonder if Sampson’s Bucks interview and revised contract has gotten in the way this offseason :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Backcourt definitely looks like one of the strongest in the Sampson era along with one of the weakest Front courts in the last 5 years at least…

1 Like

I do remember Gee Gervin…the year after he left Drexler recruited Alton Ford & George Williams which was a strong Front court but then the back court was not good at all…

Please Lord just at least give me some Breaon Brady

1 Like

George Williams has always been an under-rated UH player … I really liked him - he was a big time recruit at the time and lived up to the hype. Not enough help around him.

1 Like

True, the only postseason play Williams got to see was on McCallum’s team when they made fhe NIT back in 2002…I was one of the few students in the stands during those years :thinking:

2 Likes

Francis will be a 10 minutes/game guy if he doesn’t stop fouling. Having said that, UH WILL need him down the line.

At one point he looked like a player too good to keep off the court. Then the 2nd half of the season started.
To me that is what a learning curve can be and we chose to not force feed him.

3 Likes

I think Francis just needs to stay in the game. It seemed to me that once conference play started, the refs really tightened up their calls against Francis. Some of the calls against him based on his footwork seemed ticky tack to me. However he did have a habit of swiping at the ball when going for blocks that needs to be corrected.

1 Like

From my perspective that while JF is long, has a ridiculous wingspan, and can jump out of the gym, he doesn’t have the body mass, strength, or ability to establish leverage when guarding stronger, more experienced players. Someone already addressed footwork above.

Have to address these to limit fouls.

I expect him to make a big jump this off-season.

Going from knowing you’ll have limited playing time last year off the bench to being “the man” does a lot for motivation.

Looking forward to reports / info coming out from how he’s doing

1 Like

I think this has caused him to foul a lot and struggle against good competition. Hopefully another offseason of conditioning and strength training will get him to where he needs to be in this phase. Improved strength will improve every aspect of his game.

1 Like

Watching some games from the 2021-2022 season and I could see how Javier has gotten even stronger and more body control compared to his freshman year. Hopefully he makes another jump and I think J’wan will be better next year too.

1 Like

Every player improves at UH from year to year…

Ja’vier is going to be a defensive/rebounding monster next season…

He doesn’t even need to be the offensive threat that Carlton was his last year here… He just has to be respected by the other team as a post scorer, get offensive rebounds and be able to play the monster without giving up open slips to the basket.

1 Like

2 players who didn’t get better from yr 1 to yr 2:

*Kiyron Powell

*Ramon Walker Jr

Powells 2nd yr was a redshirt, which was very unusual. And Ramons half a season, shooting, ball handling, defense all regressed in my opinion…and no known injury was made public

powell got better… the better just didnt reach the minimum bar to play…

2 Likes

I don’t know. He can’t put on weight

I think he’s stuck at 210

With our staff, should’ve gotten to 225 at least

And the stats he put up at Southern Indiana were rough this yr

1 Like

RWJ’s stats are basically the same both years…he just got buried in the depth chart because of all the guard and wing talent on the roster last year…

He was a liability on perimeter defense both seasons…

Imo he didn’t regress last year… He stayed the same and then received a medical redshirt.

Hiw do you get a medical redshirt without being injured?

He was applying for a medical redshirt. Not sure if it got approved yet

Also, Coach was specifically asked by reporters what Ramons injury was during the season. CKS never went into detail what it was

Even though for players like Sasser, Reggie, Tramon, he’d answer what specific injury they had (hamstring, back, quad, etc)

He wore no boot, no cast. Imo, I think it was more of a mental health thing. Because he stepped away from the team for like a week last season

Yes, less minutes his 2nd yr, but his shooting was more inconsistent in yr 2. Defensively probably about the same

His stats are the same wrt fg%… Actually, he was a litle better in the games he played last year.