John Sypert-Maddog

I just wanted to let those of you that knew John Sypert know that he passed away this past Monday. I think John went by maddog on these message boards. He was my wife’s godfather. He was a great man and I knew of no bigger Coog Fan than him. I know he was big in helping create the tailgating scene at UH games. I’m a Red Raider but I had attended tailgates with him at UH and always had a great time. He had alzheimers these past few years. May he rest in peace.

25 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. I had asked about him on a few occasions trying to find out how he was doing over the last few years.
RIP John

6 Likes

Very sorry to hear this.

I attended many tailgates where he was present. Great guy.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that, I have wondered why he hasn’t been on the board in so long. I just thought he may have gone to the GoCoogs site.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear this. My sincere condolences to John’s Family. May he Rest In Peace

3 Likes

Sorry to hear the news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Maddog was one of the people that helped the Coogfans tailgate get off the ground during the 2000’s. I was on one of the teams and it created great camaraderie and friendships that last to today. I will always be thankful of the work John did for the program by supporting the tailgating scene.

6 Likes

RIP - Maddog always had a few extra tix for when I was trying to boost Robertson attendance with a car load of nieces and nephews.

7 Likes

Prayers and RIP fellow Coog.

6 Likes

This is very sad. I last saw maddog at the OU game at NRG. He had on the same ‘old school’ Coogfans.com shirt that I had on. John was a great manager and person. He literally started the tailgates and took over Coogfans with Raymond and CatDaddy way back. It was his goal to give all tailgate proceeds to UH. God bless maddog! And Go Coogs!!!

9 Likes

Oh my gosh, prayers for his family.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! This is really sad to hear. I have lots of fond memories of many many tailgates with him. To say he was instrumental in getting it all going would be a huge understatement. No one was more dedicated.

RIP, Maddog :cry:

11 Likes

Thanks for the note. I first met John back in the beginning of Coogfans, when a dozen or so of us decided to meet up at Robertson and tailgate. It was our first year at Robertson and we figured we should all get together. I didn’t really know anyone, our bond was realized via Coogfans. Back in those “early years” of campus football he’d always show up with a case or 3 of Tecate…terrible hang overs. Later that season I started bringing my freaky Thai/Mex queso, and a legend was born. :slight_smile: John became a good friend over the years, and I was lucky to spend a lot of quality time with him. He really liked my wife, Rhianna, and I’m so glad he was able to attend our wedding. I spoke to him over the phone about a year ago, and he was still able to remember those early tailgates, all us us sitting around his green pickup truck with the music blaring! He liked his rock n roll, everything from The Allman Brothers to the Bee Gees. I can still see him dancing and singing, holding a cold Tecate. Rest in peace, my friend.

18 Likes

Yep, he really liked The Allman Brothers. His library of CDs was enormous, literally thousands. Filled up a big wall at his house.

And yes, he always had lots of tickets to give away at every game.

6 Likes

We lost a really great guy & Cougar when Alzheimer took him from us.

Godspeed Maddog!

6 Likes

Very sorry to hear this news. I didn’t know Maddog in real life, but definitely through the old Coogfans website. My condolences to his family and all his friends here. :broken_heart:

4 Likes

Rest easy John. God bless.

5 Likes

Really sad news. He was UH tailgating at one point. Prayers to the family.

4 Likes

God bless John & his family…

3 Likes

RIP Maddog. Thanks for the great times.

4 Likes

John was a wonderful and generous person. I’ve missed him very much these past few years.

John was Cougar royalty in my mind.

My heartfelt best wishes to you, Raider, and the rest of the Sypert family.

10 Likes