Joseph Duarte talks UH & Big12 with 365 Sports

Wait a minute Rhoades left UH 6 years ago so he can’t be around when Dana was our head coach. Or did that happen when Dana was our assistant coach? Hmmmm…

He was our OC.

The game was on Cbbs online and they were using the UTEP radio feed for audio. It was during halftime. At the time I didn’t realize Mack had worked out there before. He was buddies with the radio crew. No harm there. But it was his perspective. It was kinda like he didn’t know UH could hear the feed.

Oh, okay. Probably around 2010 when Keenum was injured and we had to put a back up in, right?

I think Keenum played in that game. It was uncharacteristically rainy out there that night. They kept it on the ground and ran it down Skladany’s throat if I remember correctly.

Yes, you’re right! I remember that game, we stunk when everybody thought we were going to clobber the Miners!

Yeah, that was incredibly stupid for Mack to say such a thing. No wonder so many Coogs always have an uneasy feeling towards him. I wonder why he referred to us as “them.”

I think it was because he was with his homies and when you’re with your homies you let your guard down.

But back then that was the only way we could see those CUSA games and they would link the home team’s radio broadcast at halftime. He didn’t know that.

I’m not a clinical psychologist and it was probably nothing but it kinda hurt my Coog feelings…that he didn’t consider himself an “us” or “we.”

Mack did some good things here. I should probably let it go.

3 Likes

It was the game after we upset Oklahoma State (top 15) on the road and then beat Raider Rash in Robertson. We were ranked and laid an egg.

Worst road trip ever. Got a ticket in Junction. Air conditioning didn’t work in room. It rained most of the game. We got smashed. UTEP fans were ruthless. On drive home, there was a break up in the car at a gas station and we had 8 more hours of driving.

2 Likes

Yea. Aside from Ulala and SWT it was one of the more frustrating games I’ve ever watched because we were the better team 9 games out of 10.

Even Case was a bit over-confident before that game. And admitted it later. Damn, UTEP always played us hard!

1 Like

Pretty insensitive, disappointed to hear he made such remarks, about the school paying him so he can put bread on his family’s table. He was hired out of the MAC to fundraise and supervise the building of TDECU Stadium, I believe.

Yes, Rhoades.

1 Like

I attended that 2009 game.

Our run defense was mind-boggling….BAD

This team collapsed. Lost the CUSA Title game to ECU, Were routed by Air Force in our Bowl Game.

2 years later routed again in The CUSA Title Game.

Same Coach.Kevin Sumlin. You should see the crap he left behind at U. of Arizona.

And he earned $45 million as a Head Coach.

Arizona just lost to Northern. Wow.

Mack went from UTEP to the MAC (Akron ?), then came to us.
While at UTEP, Jeremiah Dickey was on the AD staff, having grown up in El Paso…

Jeremiah followed Mack all the way to Houston. And Jeremiah always was (and still is) a solid UH friend of the Family. Getting the AD gig at Boise couldn’t happen to a better guy…

I thought I would give you the “good” side of El Paso…:smiley:

1 Like

I like El Paso.

1 Like

Me too (except for my ex being from there😉)
I think prior to this game, Ted Pardee was asking me where to go pre game…

Down the street from the stadium and off Mesa Drive was The King’s X, a tiny dive bar, pool hall and grill, for the best Machaca in town…

1 Like

I like Far West Texas. I’ve only spent a couple nights in El Paso but driven through dozens of times.

I’ve tried to picture living out there, and I think it’d be fine, but for some reason I get the feeling I’d prefer Las Cruces.

While Mack was at UH, he worked his ass off for UH. No one worked harder than that guy.

That being said, he’s not UH’s friend at Baylor. Baylor and Mack are the same thing. They didn’t want us and don’t want us now. Fortunately, their fear, hate, spite was overruled

2 Likes