June Jones tells Hawaii to stick it - Timmy Chang new HC at Hawaii

Well it is a star player that has been coaching positions in college football for awhile. But never a coordinator. Worked for Briles when he stepped up. Can’t think of many more. The Arkansas coach had been oline forever not sure if he was a coordinator.

What organization would ever try to force a coach to have his staff imposed on him by the organization. That is completely stupid, only a completely incompetent organization would ever do that – you know like the Texans did with Culley.

3 Likes

Back when Foster left UHBB in early 90’s, we interviewed Tubby Smith (then at Tulsa) and supposedly offered him the job, but he had to keep Alvin Brooks, who had a multi year deal at the time.

Tubby said……uh no !

We hired Alvin.

2 Likes

Wish him all the best. Kid could slang that ball back in the day. Hope, he doesn’t turn out to be a Kingsbury. Then again who knows he fails there may get a NFL coaching job. :laughing:

1 Like

I think we pushed Gibbs on Herman.

We tried. While Gibbs had his strong points, I think TO was a better overall DC.

Gibbs was however, 1-0 as a head coach :sunglasses:

I think we actually succeeded insofar as Herman agreed to keep him on staff, but Gibbs probably looked at the situation and decided that he wasn’t going to thrive as a forced hire and left on his own volition.

Yeah, and that turned our program around, but in the wrong direction. I have yet to see any evidence that Alvin can be a good head coach. Sometimes it’s better to remain a career assistant and good recruiter.

2 Likes

Gibbs was an excellent DC comparatively speaking. His defenses were the first to focus on the turnover as an operational scheme. Damn exciting times.

3 Likes

The difference is Briles had been a very successful high school head coach.

Chang will be making $500K

The gap is widening in terms of HC salaries between P5 and G5

Maggard made Briles hire some staffers also - I know cause one told me himself Maggard helped him out

Happens all the time - certain assistants in exchange for loyalty over the last years just stay on staff with little promotion over the years - they never fire Terry Price at Texas A&M or Odell Haggins at Florida State or the Ensminger guy at LSU. Corey Raymond was going to be the same but left on his own

I liked Gibbs attitude and how he motivated the players. Only problem I ever saw was that his defenses were not good at stopping the run.

TO’s were better in that one area.

Wonder if TO stayed on at USC ??

Yes he is still DC at USC at the moment. I’ve seen him recently on Twitter retweet messgs when players are coming to USC. Plus his Twitter profile still has him as DC-- USC…

Their program is running on fumes. They play on a glorified intramural field. And Hawaii had the strictest covid quarantine rules in the nation. Hard to get games played. Too bad to, as they were a media darling and Nike darling back in the 2000’s.

Orlando is now the DC at FAU

2 Likes

Good catch. You would think he would update his profile as it still shows him as DC – USC.
But obviously doesn’t use Twitter much bc the retweets I saw from him after I went back n looked were from Jan 2021​:unamused::man_shrugging:🤦

Correct, and it started a 30 year slide. I can only imagine where UH BB would be today if Tubby Smith was hired. My guess is that UH would have several more Final Fours and one or more NC by now.

Well, maybe 24 year slide.