Just a reminder how lucky we are to be in the Big 12

3 years ago when UT and OU announced their departures from the Big 12, everyone assumed the Big 12 was toast. The PAC-12 was going to raid the Big 12, and UH was headed for more decades of mediocrity in the AAC.

Fast forward to today, and not only did Brett Yormark take schools from the PAC-12, but we are now reaching closer to ACC schools begging the Big 12 for a golden parachute.

And here little ol’UH is just enjoying the ride.

Go Coogs

25 Likes

What you forgot to mention is that this was espn’s intent all along. espn’s goal was to eliminate the BIG 12. Bowlsby got a hold of it and went hard after espn. The BIG 12 still exist because of Bowlsby.
Indeed we are lucky to be in the BIG 12. What we aim for is to be AAU as fast as possible.

11 Likes

Correct.

I would also add that there was mass incompetence with the PAC12.

They had giant egos and felt they deserved a better media deal. Big 12 went after that deal and left the PAC with nothing

4 Likes

I think most of the remaining Big12 schools not having a good landing spot is what drove Bowlsby.

Then, not taking the Big East (former) approach (shunning espn) and negotiating with espn created a great new friendship (for now).

Remember that ESPN was trying to get the AAC to take the Big 12 leftovers before Bowlsby threatened to expose everything.

Of course Pac 12 incompetence also helped. If USC and UCLA had announced their departure just a bit earlier, we likely arent having this discussion.

1 Like

:100:

During that last round of realignment the biggest winners were UH, UCF, UC, and BYU.

B12 was on the ropes but needed these teams as a stop-gap to pull the biggest coup taking down a 100+ year conference.

3 Likes

That was a massive miscalculation on PAC 12’s part, but I’m not taking anything away from Yormark for nailing the same deal as the PAC-12.

Seriously, one would think that even without the LA schools, PAC-12 could have done better if they had AZ, CO, OR, UT, WA state schools in your league versus the rag-tag team of misfits in the B12. I’m not saying they were touching B10 or SEC money, but maybe a bit better than B12.

Also, TCU’s run deep into the CFP came at such a crucial time and solidified the B12 as a viable conference w/o OUT. No doubt, it’s a fun, competitive league and has a lot of fan support-albeit a lot of small markets. UH will get there - I have confidence in Fritz.

3 Likes

OU and longhorns departing the big12 left the mid tier power five conferences without presence in the fourth largest city in the country.

It was only natural, that we would occupy that vacuum, whether in the big12, pac12 or ACC.

The pac12 was first in line, but when they released the statement, that they were not expanding “ at this time”, they gave the big12 an opportunity to grab us.

Are we lucky that OUT left the big12, yes. Are we lucky that we are in the big12, yes.

2 Likes

What matters most is that we get to AAU ASAP. We are against the clock. If USF can do it so do we. NO EXCUSES.

6 Likes

Arrogance is a better word

Anyone remember that pac poster who was trolling here years ago claiming that UH would have to pay to get into the PAC in order to buy equity in the network. Even though nobody was picking it up. That sucker.

jim I believe his name was jim. jim are you out there?

3 Likes

He had a lot to say about UH not being wanted anywhere. the PAC being awesome and not wanting UH.