Just So There’s No Confusion

The difference between 5 years in the American vs 5 years in the Big12 is well over $100 million.

2 Likes

When up by 20+ vs a team shooting 15 - 20 percent, it’s not a tough decision to go 12 deep in your roster.

Iowa state is good but let’s not forget they lost to BYU at home.

Grow up and act like man or go play with your dolls.

Iowa State fan here. I just wanted to say that I have been checking out your guys site for a while, and I have really enjoyed a lot of your comments on the B12 and the games between ISU and Houston. I don’t speak for everyone, but I don’t know any ISU fans that think we should have jumped you to be a #1 seed. That is dumb. You guys won the conf title by 2 games. You absolutely deserve the #1 seed. We (ISU) seemed to get on a good run these last few games and strange things happen in the B12 tourney sometimes. All of the ISU fans I know respect the hell out of your team and your coach as well. Good luck in the big dance, hope you guys make it to the final four.

One note, ISU didn’t lose to BYU at home. We lost at BYU yes, but we won the game against them at home. No sure why pearland keeps saying that? Maybe some inside joke?

5 Likes

Pearland is a dolt.

I was in KC. ISU Elvined us. I don’t know the last time we were beaten that badly… my best guess is Baylor in the Final Four.

Thank you Brian. Most of us most definitely respect the Cyclones. They are red hot right now and I’m another that will be pulling for a win over UConn. So jealous of your fan following.

1 Like

How can we get there? What do Houston fans have to eat, breathe, hear, read to get to the ISU level of support?

Iowa and Houston are not the same place.

TBH, I don’t think we ever will. That’s’ not to say that we can’t have a good, solid fan base that travels. During our halcyon days of the SWC, we sold the highest portion of tickets to the Cotton Bowl of any SWC school. But we know what the Cotton Bowl committee and Hoss Brock thought of us. The city of Houston has alumni from a number of schools throughout the area.

I’ve always felt that our best comps when it comes to cities and their fans are Los Angeles and Miami. There are a lot of other things to do in those cities including teams in the four major professional sports. Can we drum up fans? Absolutely!! But, as far as Cougars sports go, I feel Houston will always be a bandwagon town. The longer we have sustained success, the better our chances for expanding our fanbase. We are doing that, but unfortunately, Houston is a “what have you done lately?” city. So we have to keep winning to keep drawing fans.

ISU fans in KC gave me a Red River Rivalry vibe. There were thousands there that didn’t have tickets but were just there to party and watch it in the Power and Light District.

Now, it helps that they start with a sizable KC alumni base. And the drive to Des Moines is shorter than Houston to San Antonio.

But the Cyclones had more fans than Kansas or KSU. I am :100: jealous of their support.

I will say, to my eye we had more support than all the other Texas schools but we did not have enough to bring energy. There were only 4 schools that did, ISU, KU, KSU, and BYU. It also didn’t help that our supporters were scattered in little clusters.

1 Like