Khator: UH faces “wake-up” call

“While our finances at the University of Houston are sound, we should take it as a wake-up call and re-evaluate our assumptions and act now”.
-Renu Khator

University of Houston faces budget cuts, flat salaries as revenue hits rough patch https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/uh-khator-budget-cuts-flat-enrollment-18665382.php

1 Like

Just thinking. You pay head coach, millions of millions of millions but the adjuncts who do all the actual heavy lifting at a university don’t even get a cost of living bump.

Not blaming this president. All administrators are the same everywhere.

In free to organize places we have an expression. The administrators are our best organizers.

2 Likes

Took me a second to realize you were talking about unions on the last part.

Yes unfortunately the disparity is glaring with coaches but unfortunately, it isn’t like if they paid coaches less they would have more money for adjuncts as I believe much of the coaching salaries come from donations and related endorsements, etc.

Good for our administration to acknowledge the problem though rather than stick their head in the sand.

I was talking with a current student the other day and he shared the on campus infrastructure is a problem on campus.

Can you be more specific? Of course, some of the buildings are very old and have had various work done on them over the years and then other buildings are newer or had recent rennovations. So, I can see why someone might say that but I can also see how someone’s perception might be off on that as well.

Wrong HCNY. Our football HC is paid by donors that give to U of H with that sole purpose. Without these same donors we would never have CKS, HCWF, TDECU and other venues. You are barking at the wrong tree.
This is where I draw a line. The overall/Nationwide university attendance is going in the opposite direction.

Tuition keeps increasing ignoring declining enrollment. This in itself is ludicrous.

2 Likes

Just the side walks alone are a problem, especially for handicapped students. Yeah, some buildings are just old.

All while the state is holding onto a big surplus, of which none has gone to schools.

1 Like

Well, you can tell that student that the sidewalks will be getting redone as part of the centennial project, actually. They posted the webinar town hall about it. I put a link in a different thread.

Yea, unfortunately and it hasn’t gone to any other needed infrastructure, etc.

2 Likes

I have done a few presentations to architects. One of the most common “head scratcher” is when landscape architect incorporate plants that are invasive to infrastructures. This results in sidewalls that come up every which ways. Home owners/students fall on messed up side walks. This should never happen in the first place. I sure hope the centennial beautification will take that in consideration.

Watch the presentation to see what they have in mind. You can also send in comments too.

Forget the Head Coaches.

All universities- ALL - are top loaded with several layers of administrators. Those administrators all need an entourage.

This is nothing new. As been going on for decades upon decades.

Meanwhile by your very words fellow posters, deferred maintenance seems to be going on. Deferred maintenance and no raises, not a good sign.

I am NOT referring to UH alone, happening at hundreds or thousands of other institutions as well.

1 Like

…and this is when you adapt. A university is a business. University have to operate like a business. What kind of a signal is a university sending to their business students if they can’t balance their books?
HCNY you graduated with one of the best Hotel Management degree in the nation. You know first hand for a hotel or restaurant to stay in business what they have to do. U of H is the same.

I don’t think the problem is that they can’t balance the books, it is that revenue falls short of projections so they have to adjust. That is unfortunately a normal business issue too.

1 Like

Agree and Mrs. Khator should have predicted it from this 14 years plus curve…I am sure she did. She is an amazing leader.

That is the exact problem you are concerned about the “business students”

What about the “Latin students” (not Latin people, Latin majors), or anthropology, or art history, etc.

That’s why universities were created. Making Ladies and Gentlemen.

HNCY I am with you and I am all for I but you still have to balance the books. Remember we do not have the PUF. Without the PUF these two schools would be in the same situation that we are. Anybody pushing for these two schools and one in particular are lying to themselves. They only became what they are due to having the PUF. They would never have a 100k stadium without the PUF, never.

I’m not quite sure what you’re arguing about here. We weren’t comparing UH to anyone else’s situation and we all know the issues with PUF.

Yes, I chose HRM. I wanted one path. My path drifted over time like many others. That is why you need a greater university not just a trade college (like my first choice in Rhode Island).

A State Supported (Yes, I paid out of state) institution should be greater. They should think about great things.

Like we did with medicine.

No university is a business. Well, except for the one “university”accused and found liable of defrauding people.

Universities should balance their books but that alone doesn’t make them a business.

University of Houston Mission:

The mission of the University of Houston is to offer nationally competitive and internationally recognized opportunities for learning, discovery and engagement to a diverse population of students in a real-world setting. The University of Houston offers a full range of degree programs at the baccalaureate, master’s, doctoral and professional levels and pursues a broad agenda of research and creative activities. As a knowledge resource to the public, the university builds partnerships with other educational institutions, community organizations, government agencies, and the private sector to serve the region and impact the world.

Its funny you say that, adjunct jobs are very sparse right now as enrollment at community colleges enrollment has tanked for the third year in a row. Before 2020 id consistently have 90-120 students… after id be lucky to have 10 in single class and have class cancelled.

One school i worked for was forced to essentially turn it into a high school just to keep the lights on. No doubt this might have caught up to the universities, as community college transfers represents a portion large enrollment.