KR at D1 baseball says

Whitting is retuning to UH. Says his sources are “adamant.”

1 Like

As long as Rooney isn’t then I’m good with that.

4 Likes

Agree. BB is essentially a non-revenue sport with a coach who has time left on his contract. He is here at least another year. We could hire the best BB coach in the country or stay with CW and it wouldn’t mean much as far as revenue. $ are at a premium.

5 Likes

Not surprised by this. Can we please get back to a top 50-75 SOS. We are clocking in at 166 ranked SOS. Heck, Houston Baptist is 153.

We went 4-23 against top 100 teams this season. OUCH! 37% of our wins came against two opponents (Texas Southern and A&M Corpus Christi). DOUBLE OUCH!

4 Likes

Yeah, probably wouldn’t happen even if everything was “normal”. But with the financial losses piled on due to Covid reduced attendance, no way it will!

1 Like

COVID killed any chance of a strong schedule this year…not saying our record would be better, but our SOS would have been. Schedule will be much better next year with the return of weekday games and being able to travel to tourneys and out of state.

I figured CTW was safe, they’ll give him at least a year to fix it…question will be what he does with it. We need player development coaches badly if we want to fix things.

1 Like

Is the goal to bring in more revenue? Baseball has never been a revenue sport. So, why would firing him and getting a new manager even factor in much, right? People keep saying that the Covid year hurts chances at hiring someone new but is our athletic program in a dire situation? I think we have to fix the pitching in order to get back to where we want this program to be. He has to find a good pitching coach.

3 Likes

The point I was trying to make was that revenue (attendance) is often a major factor in making coaching changes for FB and BB. A home run hire can offset the cost of firing a coach under contract. Plus, big donors have a larger role in helping with the buyout. With no such bump in non-rev sports, the tendency is to be more restrained in firing those coaches. Especially in a year where revenue is severely limited.

1 Like

If football attendance is decent his seat will get red hot.

1 Like

This is going to affect recruiting.

Kids will be leary to sign with a coach who’s on the hot seat and could be gone within a year.

3 Likes

Couldn’t get any worse than it’s been. I think Whitting gets new assistants and gets recruiting going strong. Let’s hope

1 Like

This year is year three of our slide to irrelevance and we didn’t win a single conference series. After three years why does he get a fourth?

8 Likes

Along with making tons of fundamental mistakes for the last few years without any changes.

3 Likes

My only guess is that it’s financial. Need to let the contract run out.

2 Likes

Good question, but that’s up to the admin and the big money donors. I would have offered him a job in the athletic department and go heavily after Allen.

8 Likes

Next year he tanks again and gets fired finally. New guy comes in and takes 3 years to get back to respectability; or, he buys himself back to mediocrity with new assistants, and everyone jumps for joy and says the alum is great again. This buys himself 3 more years of mediocrity and the program is tanked for the next decade at best. What a shame - this progam had so much potential and just kept barely falling short. At least now, there are no delusions of grandeur.

4 Likes

It may affect recruiting, but there’s a glut of players right now because of the extra COVID eligibility. A lot of those guys are looking for a place to play for next year, not a whole college career.

1 Like

Coog batters are 258th in the country out of 286 teams in batting average. That is bottom 10%. Ouch.

I hear a lot about the pitching coach but our hitting coach is never brought up. It appears our pitchers carried the team this year. You cant win ball games scoring 1 or 2 runs a game and batting .240.

The Coogs scored 85 runs in 33 conference games this season. An average of 2.5 runs per game.

5 Likes

The starting pitching improved as the season progressed, keeping us in some games, especially in the last few series. Without looking up stats, I believe we only averaged 2-3 walks per 9 in the last 5 or 6 games. Relievers, for the most part, did better as well. But overall, the difference in free baserunners between us and our opponents was a killer most of the season.

2 Likes

Agreed, pitchers werent performing while the bats were somewhat hot. Then the pitching staff figured it out a bit and the bats went cold in conference. Not a great combination.

4 Likes