Lincoln Riley

Is Lincoln Riley a dark horse for the head coaching job?

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley “hit it out of the park” during his recent Houston interview, according to a source. “I would be surprised if they don’t hire him,” the source said. “Lincoln killed it.”

Riley interviewed in recent days along with Les Miles and Alabama offensive coordiantor Lane Kiffin. Riley’s presentation was ahead of the others with Kiffin doing “well,” according to the source.

This sounds a lot like it’s coming from his agent. Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see Riley here over Les Miles or Lane Kiffin, but I can’t imagine who else would (1) know how the interview went, and (2) talk about it like this.

1 Like

If we’re talking about good interviews, it’s important to remember that Al Davis interviewed Lane Kiffin for the OC position and wound up hiring him as Head Coach.

1 Like

It’s also important to remember that Al Davis was a gigantic moron who basically destroyed the Raiders. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That whole article read like TMZ being retweeted by a teenage girl.

"Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley “hit it out of the park” during his recent Houston interview, according to a source. “I would be surprised if they don’t hire him,” the source said. "Lincoln killed it.“
Riley interviewed in recent days along with Les Miles and Alabama offensive coordiantor Lane Kiffin. Riley’s presentation was ahead of the others with Kiffin doing “well,” according to the source. #killedit #omg #rileyforheadcoach #ignoretoddorlandobeatinghimlikearentedmule #nextkevinsumlin

1 Like

How did we not see this before CBS?

It’s not really fair to say that Orlando beat Riley “like a rented mule”. I distinctly remember a couple wide open recievers dropping passes in that game – if those guys catch those balls, or if UH’s receivers don’t play out of their minds on a couple of very distinct plays, we probably lose that game.

2.7 yards per rushing attempt, 2 forced fumbles, 5 sacks, 9 tackles for loss, 17 points allowed until absolute garbage time. Rented mule.

The game wasn’t a blowout because the offense had to settle for FGs on 4 of 6 scoring drives.

2 Likes

Not to mention Catalon fumbled at the 1 yard line and OU marched down and scored a TD in the 4th quarter. Should have been 40-17 at best and 40-23 at worst.

But, look at the offensive numbers Riley was able to put up against Big 12 defenses the rest of the year. OU averaged 47.8 PPG against Big 12 opponents. Obviously the Big 12 is a terrible conference for defense, but I think his offensive scheme would make a seamless transition to the AAC and put up similar numbers. We just need to be able to put something resembling an offensive line together for 2017.

2 Likes

The Redskins interviewed Jim Zorn as offensive coordinator and then hired him as head coach. That didn’t turn out so well. I think it’s better to go off of experience than interviewing presence.

Riley seems the weakest candidate with the least experience and seems sure to bail with the slightest success…but perhaps he is more amenable to Fertitta’s contract requirements? I know Kiffen isnt…

My only concern with Riley is that he is so young. Reminds me of what happened to Kliff. He’s great at being an OC, but being a HC is completely different. You have to be able to recruit coaches who will work for you and do what you want. I haven’t heard of his connection tree. Herman had been developing his staff wish list long before being hired by the UH.

To me, that sounds like a leak from someone related to UH to get Kiffin to move on the buyout.

1 Like

Riley had the 2nd best offense in the AAC at East Carolina. He knows this conference and schools; he knows the state of Texas being at OU. Hes young and motivated. He’ll need a good DC. He’s not a bad choice and would come much cheaper than Kiffin or Miles and might be more willing to take the larger buyout because of his age.

He’ll also leave in 2 or 3 years if he has success, but I’m not sure there’s anyone that we can hire that won’t do that. Maybe Miles.

Miles is 63. He may retire in 3 years.

Two can play the media game. Oh, Lane you don’t like the buyout…let me tell you about the south florida bulls.

Lincoln Riley Impresses Houston, Could Land Head Gig With Cougars
https://campusinsiders.com/news/lincoln-riley-impresses-houston-could-land-head-gig-12-06-2016/

Bringing aboard the 33-year-old Sooners OC would be a wise move for the Cougars. He knows the state of Texas very well from his eight years with Mike Leach at Texas Tech, as well as his work with OU head coach Bob Stoops since January 2015. Riley is also one of the smartest offensive minds in the country, as the Sooners made the College Football Playoff in his first year and were also in the mix this fall after two early losses. In addition, quarterback Baker Mayfield and wide receiver Dede Westbrook were just named Heisman Trophy finalists.

Our game mattered a great deal to OU and that probably cost them a chance at the CFP

Yes we had some holes in that game but clearly Orlando got the better of him. Riley is a very promising Coach but imo he needs more experience. Let’s see how he does after a couple of years in the small12. Let’s see how defenses adjust to his offense. We deserve someone with a better experience or keep Orlando at the helm.
What I want to found out is why did our defense do so well in certain games and so bad in others. That is the huge question mark that I have with Coach Orlando. The losses that we had were a major surprise to me. We knew these offenses/Teams very well but we failed badly.

1 Like

If Miles retires after 3 years, one of two things has happened. We either just won a National Championship or he wasn’t very successful here. So we either got what we wanted or we didn’t have to fire him and pay the rest of his contract.

If you think Miles had 3 good years, was on the verge of making the playoffs and then just decided to up and retire, you don’t understand what it takes to be competitive like he has been.

1 Like

If we’re going to hire a coordinator, it seems like a safer bet to go with one that we know, assuming we like the body of work.

Riley is a great OC, but I think he would struggle to put together a strong coaching staff, at least initially. We can’t afford that.