List of Teams Declining NIT

CBI, CIB, … I cannot speak for those tourneys and not sure exactly who is watching …

However, I’ve taken a look at the NIT bracket - it does not look bad [even with the “no shows”] … some interesting match ups.
I also am suspect of the no shows - if a team is bent out of shape about being left out - then go dominate the NIT. Some of these “no shows” are simply afraid to be exposed with a loss in the first / second round of the NIT… if you ask me.

Take Indiana State - it will be interesting to see how they do. I’ll also be curious about USF - and the Big 12 teams [and future Big 12 Utah].

Didn’t we beat Texas in the CBI back in the day?

1 Like

In 1950 the NCAA tournament invited 8 teams, in 1951 they invited 16 and it has periodically added teams.

In 1950 the NIT tournament invited 16 teams, in 1960 they invited 12. Now they take the leftovers from a list very depleted of good teams. Now it is truly the Nobody Important Tournament.

They do get reimbursed for travel and hotels and food and stuff. Plus 5k
The NCAA makes a couple million off this tournament. Pays the salaries of a couple of their mid level executives, I’m sure. No reason to give that money back to the teams playing

Champion receives 400k. So they pay 300k for the 30 games before the championship and 405k for the championship game

1 Like

No one interested tournament = NIT

Ucf-usf is completely worth watching in round 1.

4 Likes

Really like to see UCF win that one for the Big 12.

The battle of I4.

Indiana State hopes to host the whole way and then play in Indy. Problem is that their coach is talking with old CUSA mate, St Louis U, about its opening. SLU apparently has far more resources than public IN State. SLU probably wants to keep itself in position for a call up to the Big East someday.