• Pittsburgh Panthers
  • Indiana
  • St John’s
  • Memphis
  • Mississippi
  • Washington
2 Likes

Tom Crean big mad about it too

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1769546964884951427?t=r7Oo20zrZyFCWk3-i-KJ0w&s=19

1 Like

lol why In the hell are they inviting Washington, they don’t even have a coach

3 Likes

Wow! That’s pretty strange to me. There was a time when the NIT was considered more prestigious than the NCAA Tournament. I remember being very much into it when we got to the championship game in ‘77.

1 Like

It was a bigger deal when get teams went to the tournament and they could put some serious names and teams in the brackets. Now at 64/68 all the big teams unless they really screw up are in the field.

What about more practice time?

1 Like

NIT was prestigious at one time they kind of look at the NIT now, like bowl games what’s the point

The NIT pays out 5k per team per appearance. What kind of incentive is that?

5 Likes

With the payout no wonder teams are refusing the invite. Doesn’t even cover the cost to participate…

Can not wait for the Big:12, 10, East Tourney for non NCAA teams

Maybe if ESPN spent more time actually covering college basketball people would care about more teams and tournaments.

1 Like

I always thought of the NIT as teams not quite good enough to make the big dance. Whoever won it was definitely good enough to be in the dance.

1 Like

I like the analogy: NCAA Tournament == CFB Playoffs and NIT == bowl games.

For years, the NIT was the Not Invited Tournament. It still is. When the NCAA field was smaller, 16-24 schools, an NIT bid was significant.

Maybe you expand the field for the NCAA tournament to 96, top 8 seeds in each region get a bye. Let first and second round losers go to the NIT and you have a 64 team field. Everybody gets to play at least two post season games

Teams get reimbursed for hotels and travel, I believe. I don’t know. I think there are a lot of good teams who just miss the Tournament–Oklahoma, Pitt, Seton Hall, etc. The more basketball the better, IMO.

3 Likes

I agree that the NIT has lost a lot of it’s luster, but it still a reward for good teams to continue to play and win a championship. I don’t agree that is for losers. The NIT Staff need to work on branding.

The semis and final will be in Indianapolis, IN this year. I liked it when it was at MSG, but let’s see the attendance in Indianapolis.

I didn’t realize the CBI Tournament was still around. Who are teams competing in the CBI? Glad you asked!

High Point Basketball
UC San Diego Basketball
Seattle Basketball
Arkansas State Basketball
Montana Basketball
Quinnipiac Basketball
Fairfield Basketball
Northern Colorado Basketball
Cleveland State Basketball
Little Rock Basketball
Evansville Basketball
Presbyterian Basketball
Bethune-Cookman Basketball
Delaware State Basketball
Chicago State Basketball
3 Likes

There was also the CIB…:

Yuck. :nauseated_face:

Chicago State? I know they’re cougars, green cougars, but sheesh. 12-18? Their claim to fame this year is beating Northwestern.

They were willing to consider Detroit-Mercy last year. I believe you have to pony up to play in this tournament. If last year wasn’t jumping the shark…