Lost a Coog Fan

All,

I haven’t posted in a while, but I changed jobs and had our first daughter in June. Living in California has made it challenging for my folks to travel out (both being disabled) from Houston. On their second visit out here for Christmas and New Years, my father became ill. He had good vitals in summer, but was a new diabetic with poor habits for checking his blood. I called them everyday to check on them and make sure they were doing well. He seemed different before he came out (tired and aged) and he was hospitalized on 1/16 for chest pain and dehydration. He went into diabetic ketoacidosis and it caused a heart attack. He was fighting to get out of DKA so they could intervene on his heart, but time ran out. My last time spent with him while he was somewhat cognizant was watching the Texans and Ravens. That night, everything went bad and he passed the next day. It was so fast that I’m still trying to figure things out. I find myself wishing I could have done more to be there or acted sooner.

My dad was my hero, and the staunchest UH supporter despite never attending. He went to college visits with me and appreciated the honesty at the school. We always talked about the Coogs during the season. He was proud that I attended the school and experienced being on the SOH that did the Super Bowl half time. He and my mother came down to visit games to support me. Being from the rust belt and a blue collar guy from a very poor background, he was salt of the earth no nonsense.

In the last 8 years he became a caregiver for my mom, retiring 6 years ago from congestive heart failure. He was a tough and strong man, but also a committed husband and dedicated father. This caught us all by surprise. He wanted to live life on his terms which didn’t comply with medical recommendations.

Shortly after, my mother had a mild heart attack from grieving. Thank god she is okay and recovering here with us. We’re trying to get her to live with us for the foreseeable future and determine if we’ll move back to Texas next year like we had originally planned.

I suppose beyond sharing my loss of one of my best friends and Coog fan, I am hoping that all of you who are caring for aging or young family members to hang in there.

32 Likes

Thanks for the post Eric; and prayers for you and your family. May your father rest in peace.

2 Likes

Condolences Eric. He sounds like he was a great Dad. Don’t blame yourself. God Bless.

1 Like

My condolences. May he R.I.P.

1 Like

May his memory be a blessing.

1 Like

My sincere condolences

1 Like

Sorry for your loss and our loss of a good UH supporter.

I’ve lost both parents sometime ago, and there are still times I question the sequence of events
and my actions. There are no satisfactory answers. But time does help heal. Focus as much as you can on your daughter and mom. May your dad rest in peace knowing he raised a fine son.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great father and husband. RIP

1 Like

Condolences on your loss of your fine father.

1 Like

I am sorry for your loss.

1 Like

:pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Deepest condolences Eric.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss…may his memory be a blessing.

1 Like

Our condolences.

1 Like

Go Coogs, wherever they may be

3 Likes

Just be as good a Dad to your daughter and future children as your father was to you and God will guide you on the rest.

Hope you can escape California.

2 Likes

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

1 Like

Sorry for the loss of your father, and a fellow Coog fan.

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind words, wisdom, and prayers. It’s been a rough few weeks, but it will take time. This Coog and family appreciate every one of you.

True we’ll ever be.

I’ve grown to appreciate some of California, but I miss a lot of home. Despite a life here in CA, I refuse to have my Dad buried here. He will be coming home.

1 Like