Maddox hits the transfer portal

In fairness to Piland, I don’t think he was a miss. I think he showed great potential and had a couple of games that proved he could deliver big numbers, but injury curtailed his opportunity to become Keenum’s successor.

5 Likes

We have not been a member of the Big 8. Big 12 or Pac12 like Colorado with better box office to draw fan. Comparing apples to rice krispies

To Bowl games, they bring less than 3000. They bring a Buffalo so there’s that

2 Likes

I live in CO and went to a CU home game, pre-Covid, against Oregon St.

I was impressed with the fan turnout. The tailgaters were awesome. Walked campus and the students were out in droves.

Like I said in an earlier post, the stadium is terrible. They have some nice facilities built around it and even built an alumni center in conjunction with the stadium but the stadium itself, terrible.

Let’s be honest, it’s a PAC-12 school that is playing better competition. Until we are in the BIG12, they will most likely be a better “destination” for some student athletes.

No our fan support is awful, we don’t put butts in our seats, if Colorado puts 45K in a 50K stadium we have no room to criticize

5 Likes

CU is a nice campus. And Boulder is a nice town to visit.

Yes I have been there when my daughter played travel softball, Boulder is very nice

No, but we were in the SWC and drew home crowds of less than 20K and usually less than 30K unless we were playing UT or aTm.
In 1983 we only had one game over 26640 and that was UT when we drew 47103, most of whom were UT fans.
In 1984, another SWC co-champion and Cotton Bowl year, our largest crowd was 34103 for aTm, Rice drew 30K and everyone else in the 20s.
In 1985 we had one game over 25K and again that was mostly UT fans.
In 1986 our largest crowd was 28K for aTm and our next largest crowd was 16K for Arkansas.
Our last year in the SWC, 1995, we drew 32K for UT, 20K for La Tech, and 17K, 14K, and 15K for BU, SMU, and TT respectively.

There was a reason we were left out of the B12. You can say what you wish, but that is an apples to apples comparison and I again say, we have no room to disparage attendance by anyone else.

3 Likes

you cherry picked some of the worst years. We entered the SWC in the 1977 season.
Average attendance was:
1977. 44K
1978. 40K
1979. 38K
1980. 34K

Perhaps it has nothing to do with it and perhaps a lot but enrollment in 1977 was 30K. It is now 46K. If we got those attendance numbers with 30K we should do ok with 47K

Here is a chart put together by Pray10 I believe. Also note stadium capacity.

Once again we get into the attendance issue.

1. Most school we are compared to are the only game in town. Look at all of the other options/distractions Houston offers. What else is there in Boulder, Athens, College Station, etc.
  2. The last couple of years of the Rob we did well and the first couple of years of TDECU we averaged a full rob.
  3. I still believe that once we are in a “Big” conference, playing OSU, Baylor, etc. with a lot of their alumni in Houston and our own decent teams, attendance will increase.
  4. Why not compare us to attendance with other “city” school like Miami for example.

you are definitely responding to the wrong person if you think I believe attendance wont increase in the Big12

We started SWC play in 1976, not 1977.

We played 2 games at Rice Stadium in 1976. We had 72,000 for A$M and 58,000 for Arkansas. Average of 65,000.

On the road we sold out in Waco, Lubbock, and Austin.

Our new Home Stadium should do quite well as to attendance. UNLESS we put a sorry product on the field.

1 Like

Yeah, got that wrong. My mixup was I graduated spring of 1976 and the Coogs played in the SWC after I left so I jumped a year. I did make the 1977 Cotton Bowl.

I love the there’s too much to do in houston excuse when the one horse towns have a large amount of Houston folks traveling to see them - very weak excuse

It’s only 5-6 weekends of home football for 3 months

Lastly - folks seemed to show on labor day weekend to see OU when there was plenty to do at 11 am

2 Likes

The majority of people watching games in those towns are coming from Denver, Atlanta, and Houston/Dallas/Austin. Boulder, in particular, is half an hour from downtown Denver. It’s very much a city school. As are UCLA, Washington, and Georgia Tech, all of which handily outdraw us.

Don’t you think all those other schools would more than likely have been in same shape as UH if they had been wondering in the G5 abyss for 25+ years ?

1 Like

Yes. Texas Tech would be what UTEP is now.

Yes, our first four years the average attendance was better due to being new in the conference and playing games against UT at Rice. You left out 1976, our 1st year in the SWC, where we drew 70K against aTm at Rice Stadium. We also drew 47K against Arkansas at Rice. But we also drew 23K, 18K, and 20K against West Texas, TCU, and Miami. But after 1977 we started dropping off.

Look, I only brought this up because Coach V was running down Colorado’s fan support. If you think we have great fan support and room to run down other schools for their attendance, then your metric for great fan support is different from mine. Personally, having one sellout and the rest of the games 1/2 to 3/4 full in a 40K stadium is mediocre at best.

I pulled up rankings and the 5 year average for UH after the 2019 season was #68 in the NCAA; Colorado was #51. I assume they last listed 2019 due to the 2020 COVID years and 2021 is too recent. Let’s just hope things pick up, but historically, on average, we haven’t drawn well against the remnant schools in the B12 that we have played, although we did draw 36K and 41K against Ok. St in 1966 & 68 respectively. Our largest home crowd against Cincy was in 2015 when we drew 32K UCF in 2016 (35K). For BYU we drew 33K at Reliant in 2013. I won’t count 2020 when we only drew 10K due to the COVID restrictions.

1 Like

Maybe not so much. When you go to school in a one horse town, with no other entertainment and social events except for school sports, one develops a much more intense interest and desire to attend “games”. When on attends a school where there are hundreds of distractions, the attachment is not a great. We have a lot of distractions in Houston, and even students enjoying campus life have the ability to exit the campus and participate in other entertainment venues.

Houston sucks as a college town and is only slightly better as a pro town.

We need to realize that and get creative six Saturdays a year. I’m done after this worrying about it. Pez Inc. are paid well to sort it out.

Just win, baby! If its by 1-point and in front of 5,000 people I’m happy. If we win in the B12 a lot of this will sort itself out automatically. But winning is where possibility and finance collide. Just win!!!

8 Likes

I’m not comparing Colorado to anyone except that for a long time member of power conferences, their attendance sucks. There are more fleas on Ralphie than members of their traveling party.

The fear of every Bowl game was getting Colorado.

2 Likes