Matt Rhule failed in the NFL, but now college football has one of its coaching stars back in the mix

This is the guy we should be going after jettison Holgi…You listening Tilby ?

2 Likes

This guy is a great College Coach!

3 Likes

Rhule would be great here, but the timing doesn’t work.

Holgorsen will be here for another couple of years before UH is back out in the market.

3 Likes

Timing is everything, just like the stock market. We can’t afford to wait. Why suffer when we don’t have to? Strike while the iron is hot. Holgy is not going to work out here,imo. Ship has sailed on him

1 Like

Who is going to buyout the contract?

2 Likes

Ain’t happening.

The administration isn’t going to bail on him right before entering the big 12.

Only after he fails badly in the big 12 will they consider firing him.

That means he will be here at least two more years minimum.

3 Likes

Take a loan out and do it stretched out over the years it can be manged as revenue goes up with B12 income. Don’t need Tillman’s money. If he’s not on board with it. There’s a will there’s a way. Just need the President and board say he needs to go.Pass the bucket around to our other well off alum and boosters. There are other’s beside Tillman who operate under the radar

Just a few year removed from his TX recruiting connections. He should be able to get in a respectable frosh class/JUCO right away.

Rhule had respectable NFL defense using his same system but they were so rancid on offense they wore down late in games.

His defense will take it up a notch w what he learned in the NFL at his next stop.

He has such a massive windfall and the stress of stinking in Charlotte could drive him to TV for awhile ? Doubtful but maybe.

The owner seems intense. He threw away $175 million + and bankrupted his project centered company after a few local government types got on his nerves.

2 Likes

Dana himself said he is going nowhere. He is too entangled with the administration’s general conference realignment strategy. Oregon’s AD publicly said, conference expansion is not done.

Any G5 right now, does not want to show any instability in its athletic department and that includes firing a coach.

Dana extension was less to do with football performance, but more to do with stability and navigating Houston’s move to P5.

2 Likes

I will pay the buyout but the university needs to throw in a padded seat back rental for the rest of the year. And I ain’t budging.

4 Likes

I’m pro-Rhule but even if we did have an opening the cost of both getting rid of Holgorsen and winning a bidding war for Rhule would be astronomical.

There’s also this, which I didn’t realize until looking at his Wikipedia today.

During his tenure at Baylor, Rhule’s teams never defeated a ranked team.

1 Like

Exactly. I don’t understand the Rhule love. He’s a decent coach, but I don’t think he’s all that.

3 Likes

With the kind of jobs out there, especially Wisconsin and Nebraska. Why will he pick Houston? Coaches give lot of premium to existing program support. Both these Big 10 schools have that. If he wants to stay in an urban place then Georgia Tech will command attention. There are jobs that are not open but can get open like Auburn, maybe Oklahoma or Notre Dame. I just don’t see him landing here under any circumstance.

I’ll go in halvsies but I want free beer at all UH sporting events….for life….then when I pass it falls to my son.

1 Like

You guys never learn

Rhule bailed on Temple for Baylor. Bailed on Baylor for the NFL.

you think someone like Rhule would want to come to UH? Lol for what? So he can bail on UH in 2-3 years to go to the SEC?

4 Likes

Sorry bruh, deadline for seat rentals was in July… That ship has sailed.

1 Like

Who cares man…… I’m done hoping we get a “lifer”!

If we get a guy that comes in and kicks a$$ for a few years and splits……cool, it means we have had a lot of success….plus we r in Big 12, so we will get another great up and comer…. Repeat every few years….I don’t care!!!

The coach will at least be hungry and put in the work if they want to get a bigger job.

The “lifer” route? Screw it…… no motivation man…. So yes, I have learned.

I should add, if it was Stoops I think he is at a point in his life he would come in and stay….also would not have to worry about his work ethic.

3 Likes

Rhule had some nice win totals but, before someone spends all of UH’s money on him, let me elaborate on what was mentioned above:

Rhule beat 3 ranked teams in his 4 seasons at Temple: #23 ECU in 2014 (finished 8-5), #21 Memphis in 2015 (9-4), and #19 Navy in 2016 (9-5). He went 3-5 against ranked teams while there – granted 3 of those losses were in his first season when Temple finished 2-10.

Rhule beat 0 ranked teams in his 3 seasons at Baylor. 0-10 but again 4 of those losses came in his first season when Baylor went 1-11 (beat KU).

Rhule is 1-3 in bowl games with the W coming against Vandy in 2018 while at Baylor. Losses to Toledo, Wake Forest, and Georgia.

Rhule beat Vandy and Penn State while at Temple. They finished their respective seasons at 3-9 (Vandy-2014) and 7-6 (Penn State-2015).

I am not against Rhule but I am surprised at how over the top the passion is for teams to land him. He is not as toxic as an Urban Meyer but you would think they had the same resume.

5 Likes

Well I would think his name has weight because he made Temple not Temple and kept Baylor from falling back to the bottom. Most teams wanting him are in some level of disarray and could use his steady hand to rebuild. Maybe not a fit for a LSU type opening but I can see him turning around a Arizona State or similar East coast team.

I think this is mostly right (would give Golden a lot of the credit for Temple though), and why I get the right brainfeels when I try to put him in Madison or Auburn. But Arizona State? Seems like a really good fit. Really good fit. Nebraska doesn’t like to think of itself as that layer of program but that’s where they are right now. And yes, he’d be a good fit for Houston if we had an opening and could afford it but it’s an expensive gamble and not at all one sure to pay off.

1 Like