[Maui Invitational] Oregon vs. #12 UH - 11/24/21 1:30PM CST ESPN (W 78-49)

While they cant put a candle to the dunking ability of Phi Slama Jama it prossibly could go down as the best since them.

I was hoping J’Wan would have given it up for Taze to finish it

Roberts is surprisingly comfortable dribbling the ball.

2 Likes

I was about to type that we shot 83% from free throw line and then we bricked last 4 and finished under 70%. :man_facepalming:

Great effort after what I’m sure was a disappointing loss for the guys.

2 Likes

Potential Q1 win, fellas.

1 Like

You jinx us w your thoughts.

1 Like

Let’s just hope Oregon gets it together and this doesn’t end up like our last PAC 12 victim in a Hawaiian tournament (Washington).

1 Like

Couple more misses tacked on there…

Love listening to Bilas. It’s a non-stop pro-Coog discussion. A number of talking heads with ESPN are also on the UH bandwagon.

6 Likes

Washington lost their most important piece right after we played them. It was devastating to them.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1463619912090324992?s=20

1 Like

Bump

Great win! Love Shead starting so Sasser is free to have more time at the 2. Go Coogs!

8 Likes

I really enjoyed the tournament in person and thought there were many more positives than negatives.

#1 Positive has to be Jamal Shead. What a difference a year and some confidence makes. You can already see the maturity in his decision making and he certainly looks like he could be Galen Robinson 2.0 by his senior year. He’s just a fun player to watch.

#2 I love the number of low post touches we got our bigs. I don’t think we need to over use the low post, but we clearly wear down bigs when we go down to Carlton and get drop step looks for Reggie, Fabian and even Jawann. I don’t know who is coaching our bigs, but I love the footwork I am seeing.

#3 I love that Coach Sampson is never satisfied and coaches these guys hard up 20+. We have one of the few remaining “old school” coaches left in college basketball and what a blessing that is.

Questions I have:

#1 What is Robbie Armbrister’s position? I saw him for the 1st time today during his brief cameo and he looked pretty short compared to everyone else. What is his college skill set? I don’t remember seeing his highlight reel from high school.

#2 Can Tramon become a reliable outside threat or can we try to play more uptempo when he is in the game? It seems like in the half-court, the ball gets a little sticky with him and guys are standing around and watching.

I’m being nit-picky, but hey, all in all, fun trip to Vegas and looking forward to seeing this team progress.

BTW despite the loss to Wisconsin and with the way we defender all tournament, we are currently the KenPom #1 rated defense and #5 overall.

17 Likes

Now right now, but I believe at the end when Oregon starts to get it together it will end up being a really good win and Q1

Good post.

I believe Armbrester is a rebounding wing guard. Kind of like Armoni or Dotson.

Mark was 19 of 73 for a mediocre 26% last year from three. Roughly 1/3rd of his shots came from downtown. So he fashions himself an outside threat. This season, he is 0-3 from deep. So he hasn’t proven himself yet…

A Jamal Shead shout out. Deserves it

10 Likes

Kellen coaches the bigs

5 Likes

Appreciate the info. I love the guys’ fundamentals. Just such a well drilled team overall.

As to Tramon, a year ago Reid Getty’s called him James Harden type player. His shoulder obviously hasn’t recovered 100% but he’ll be running the offense when Jamal’s not on the floor. You didn’t hear it since you were in attendance but Bilas mentioned several times that Kelvin thought Tramon might be our best player before he injured his shoulder

6 Likes