Memphis president takes shots at recent Big 12 realignment

https://twitter.com/UofMPastPres/status/1688284706746318849

What a freaking loser.

5 Likes

Take your conference realignment L and move on Memphis.

8 Likes

He’s got a point. This crap is getting ridiculous. I don’t want to watch the NFL with 24-team conferences.

15 Likes

Geography and rivalries. They can still play Ole Miss, Miss State, Tulane, USM, ULM.

4 Likes

Memphis leaving AAC for Missouri Valley!

11 Likes

Yes, philli and Connecticut were bus trips for UH

4 Likes

He would only have a point if it was us being left out

5 Likes

Essentially what is happening is that the Power 3 conferences are expanding nationally to have divisions within their perspective conferences. (Big 10 east/west; SEC south/east; Big 12 east/west). So while there might not be any regional power conferences anymore, there will be regional divisions within each power conferences.

Also - the AAC wasn’t necessarily a regional conference, so i’m not sure why he can complain considering Memphis was never a P5 team

2 Likes

What would make sense is for all of the Power conferences to come together in one league like the NFL and split everyone into regional divisions but everyone is out for their own and trying to kick the other guy off the lifeboat. Some schools would never agree to be aligned in a division with other schools that they feel superior to. I thought ESPN was having financial trouble and laying everyone off? Now we know why, this has been in the works for a while, they’re driving the boat.

Why is it just now ridiculous, though?

Yea…almost like every team should be part of a larger group that negotiates contracts, makes the rules, sets the playoff up for the whole nation and teams are just a part that association of all the teams.

Wonder what we could call it?

1 Like

The Alliance of the Hyper-Paranoid.

Memphis has tried to buy its way into the club multiple times. Just sour grapes.

4 Likes

Did he throw a water bottle because things didn’t go his way?

Signed - “Call me!”

1 Like

I was looking up where our conference mates were at in 1927 and found a few conferences like the southern conference that had over 20 teams.

UH is one of the few where this realignment phase brought us closer to regional schools. Most other schools who went to new conferences lost their traditional opponents and rivalries…

11 Likes

They weren’t relevant back then either. Good times.

As I’ve said before, UH, UC, and UCF invested in their programs and built/renovated on-campus facilities and got donations from alumni. The Memphis message board talked about how they wanted the city and state to help them build on-campus facilities.

5 Likes

College sports will die in 20 years when the B1G has 35 members and mid majors become meaningless. When the B1G collapses in 2045 college football will be a thing of the past.

3 Likes

Why is it so hard to understand with Memphis? They don’t invest in their program and keep promising about renovations. Am I just missing something? Why do they keep thinking they’re the logical choice over say a Pitt? Feels delusional.

2 Likes