Men's Golf: Bayou City Collegiate

Your Coogs posted their second straight runner-up finish this week at the Bayou City Collegiate. With a field totaling 16 teams, the Coogs shot three straight under par rounds (as a team) to finish at -16. The tournament, won by Sam Houston at -25, had 1 team in the top 50 (#49 Southern Miss).

The Coogs had 3 players finish inside the top 8:

• t2 Santiago De La Fuente: -8
  • t4 Campbell Gibson: -7
  • t8 Austyn Reily: -5

Tournament Leaderboard:

1. Sam Houston State -25
  2. Houston -16
  3. Lamar -9
  4. Oral Roberts -9
  5. UT Arlington -6
  6. Rice -2
  7. ULM E
  8. UTSA +2
  9. Abilene Christian +17
  10. Southern Mississippi +17
  11. Southern Illinois +18
  12. Louisiana +20
  13. Stephen F Austin +24
  14. Incarnate Word +28
  15. UT Rio Grande Valley +30
  16. Houston Christian +40

All things considered, the only thing the Coogs didn’t do was win. This field was extremely weak, but, the Coogs did manage to continue to pad their record (like they did last week). The Coogs now head south of the border to Cabo to play in arguably one of the best tournaments in all of college golf with one of the strongest fields in all of college golf. This will be a good test for the boys to see if they can keep the good play up.

Rankings as of 2/22
Current Ranking: Golfstat: #51
Overall Record: 63W - 14L

Also, miss me with your Sam Houston takes. Don’t want to hear it from you knuckleheads.

2 Likes

Geez Sam beat us by 9 strokes?
Sorry I am from the spoiled Dave Williams era and it saddens me where we have fallen to.
Hopefully the Big 12 helps

2 Likes

Spoiled from Dave Williams era? That ended 40 years ago.

Houston beat SHSU by 18 shots last week…

Yep I’m from that and knew Coach Williams. Interviewed him many times. Great guy, great motivator and mustered up a few trophies to boot.
Would love to go back to winning like that but I’m sure everyone else would too lol

2 Likes

Does the golf program have merchandise for purchase? I’m at the point where I’d rather donate to them over baseball.

1 Like

Negative. But would encourage you to donate to Project 17. That will get you some gear.

1 Like