Met a guy from Michigan U last night

He says, so it must have really hurt losing to us the way you did. I told him a little later, Listen losing to you guys who we lead most of the way on a last second shot in the second round is no big deal to long time fans who lost the National title on a last second shot.

2 Likes

It did hurt, though…

2 Likes

It still hurts…

3 Likes

Self-absorbed and pompous…was it John O’Korn?

2 Likes

Tbh, I was more upset about the officiating that kept Michigan in the game than the actual loss at the time. Michigan’s run after the game hurt more because when we played we were the obvious better team and theoretically could have made a similar run.

3 Likes

I agree with you Gerald. That five point play…in particular. Was that even the correct call? I feel like I’ve seen similar plays in the pros where the three pointer is awarded and a single-shot free throw is given to the player who was fouled away from the play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “five point play” before. Anyone who knows the college rules want to chime in?

3 Likes

College rule is different and it was called correctly. If a player is fouled away from the ball during a shot, they receive two free throws. In the pros, it is one.

Problem is there was no foul committed on the play.

4 Likes

Bingo! They were positioning themselves for a miss…but the Coogs where “called for the foul”!

They called Van Beck twice on plays on Wagner. Unless Van Beck was mugging him [which he didn’t seem to be] both should have been no calls.

When UH had only 3 fouls to their 8 in the 2nd half, you knew there would be some questionable calls to even it out. The refs did just that.

It is what it is. I am disappointed in the outcome but nothing close to the feeling a month ago. Probably helped that UM lost their swagger with that beatdown in the finals. I do find it funny / sad that their “fans” continue to Twitter stalk Rob.

Michigan will get theirs too; they used up their entire quota of good luck for two or three years in that one game with us!

I have been watching college basketball now for nearly three-quarters of a century, and that was the first time I have ever seen a 5-point play!

And then, after that atrocity, the guy on their team who had missed something like eight 3-point shots in the game hit the one that won the game for them - from the next county, and off balance too.

As I have often said, I don’t care how good you are, or how well you play, YOU CANNOT BEAT LUCK!

3 Likes

I thought he got two because they were in the bonus and that was basically a dead ball foul after the ridiculous rebound went in the bucket… .

Also with Michigan they have yet to win a championship. :wink:

Yes, it does. It still stings. Not as bad as NC State in 1983, but pretty darn close. We had Michigan on the ropes and we could have made a strong run in March Madness. We had some great kids that gave everything they had…and then…damn it…it still hurts.

Go Coogs. Peace.

P.S. When I read the title of the thread, I was hoping the first post said, “His name was John O’Korn and I punched him in the face!”

5 Likes

We ended a drought that lasted through multiple generations by winning the first round.

How can any of it hurt?

The simple truth is Sampson had his team peaking and playing tournament ball at exactly the right time. By all accounts it was a spectacular coaching job that will yield fruit both in recruiting and in the press for a long time. It wasn’t an over-achiever vs. the real deal…it was two good teams slugging it out. We just haven’t felt like that in a long, long time.

1 Like

Bc we could have also ended a drought that’s lasted through multiple generations by making the final four.

1 Like

We also enjoyed an undefeated season at home: how long has it been since THAT happened? Seriously - I don’t know, but it has been many years!

5 Likes

Or an even bigger drought by winning it all …where does it end !!

2 Likes

Including wins over two top 10 teams. This was a special year and I fully enjoyed it up until that last second miracle shot.

1 Like