Missed the CFP

That’s totally cool. I was mainly pointing out an expanded playoff is very unlikely to change the teams that get to the championship game for those saying they wont watch because it isn’t a big enough playoff. I saw a stat that Alabama was like 55-5 against the SEC and Ohio St like 45-5 against the Big 10 in the last whatever seasons. ESPN is pretty damn powerful if they are the reason for that.

1 Like

It has to be expanded to 8. Too much $$$ to be made not to. Will Bama and tOSU still dominate sure but it’s all cyclic…Bama sucked for awhile iy you remember. Americans LOVE underdogs and the G5 will be that and more. Will say #1 Bamma beat #8 Cincy…sure most times BUT there’s always a chance as long as they line up and play the game. case in point, 2015 Coog team could beat any one on any given day.

2 Likes

So if more teams had a chance, you just might start seeing more parity.

Yes years ago Bama was down, but that was before the TV networks started heavily promoting the SEC brand and pumping big $$$ into its coffers.

For example, the SEC just signed a new $3 billion deal with ESPN that will pay ~$300 million/year to the SEC for some of their football game TV broadcasts. This is one of Disney/ESPN’s biggest advertising programs and it’s all about building up the SEC/P5/NFL’s Triple A farm club brand.

So HS recruiting for 5 star talent has become just like the major league baseball draft. The SEC and a few other marquee programs like Ohio State, Clemson, Texas & Oklahoma have virtually all of the first thru third round picks; then the other lesser teams in the BIG, ACC, Big 12 & PAC have the fourth thru tenth round picks; and then the rest of division I college FB (read the non P5) get to pick from what’s leftover - ie; the remaining less developed and/or unproven players.

This major player recruiting/selection disparity (driven mostly by TV exposure, promotion & $$$) is what is splitting D1 college football - between the haves & the have-nots. To me, it’s such a shame.

1 Like

No doubt SE$ is their bread and butter. Heck I just want our boys to have a chance.

Yes…if it was 8 teams under this format it would be so much more interesting.

5 P5 Conference Champions get an automatic ticket.
+
1 ticket for the best G5 program. If our commissioner has any pull make it 1 for the AAC Champion and one for the best G4 but even I’m dreaming on that one.
+
2 At Large tickets to the committee’s choosing.

Then seed 1-8
Round 1 on campus games =

8 AT 1
7 AT 2
6 AT 3
5 AT 4

Round 2 (Final 4) would tie back into the Bowl System now.

We would only be adding ONE more playoff weekend but here is what would happen with this system:

1. The Conference Season would be a very intense almost type of playoff itself. Win your Conference and YOU ARE IN!

2. This would force Notre Dame and BYU into a Conference because they’d be stupid not to because they’d have an easier path to just win their conference. Plus they’d have TWO shots instead of the at large only option.

3. This system would involve so many more teams than just the 10 or 15 chosen ones. The rest, even P5s , have virtually no shot.

I fully expect this system to increase interest, TV ratings, and Vegas interest…just look at March Madness as an example

5 Likes

I had every intention of watching the game but unfortunately, work got in the way. By the time I wrapped up, basically the game had too (it was halftime) so I didn’t turn it on. I do giggle a little about the low ratings and knowing I might have made an impact on that number.

I am in full support of an 8 team playoff and that is a solid format. Just don’t understand why that would change “not wanting to watch the same teams” complaint from many who said they didn’t watch the championship game. I don’t understand how previous rounds would change that complaint.

1 Like

Dead on…Think you could also tie the Quarter Finals into a Bowl something like …
Quarters - Texas Bowl 1vs8, Liberty, etc Tier 2 Bowls would expand
Semis - same rotating format used now
Chanpionship - same

It’s a win/win for all…as it is now Bowls are sadly diminished

1 Like

When you know the system is BS its hard to watch. Especially with the P5 nonsense its hard to stomach and i get tired of hearing Herbstreet and the like blow hard

I didn’t watch the “playoffs.” I rewatched season 3 of Arrested Development instead of the “championship game.”
I don’t know about you guys but I just never got into it this season. I went to a couple of our games and each Saturday tried to watch some other games, but just never was able to have any sort of feeling for it. The games all felt like scrimmages to me and felt lacking in continuity. No team that I watched more than once exhibited any sort of growth throughout the season. I don’t recall any great games or any great plays. It just all felt empty.

But don’t worry about me… I’m feeling college basketball right now. As long as the tournament doesn’t get canceled again, I’ll be OK.

8 team playoff doesn’t resolve the inequities of the current system because still leaves out conference champions. We need 12 teams minimum. Top 4 get buys , takes 4 weeks to play. Includes all 10 conference champions and 2 at large. Committee selects 2 at large and seeds the teams. If needed, start season a week earlier. Don’t tell me it can’t be done because they already do it in FCS only they do 16 teams and no buys. An honest championship.

1 Like

It would include all 5 P5 Champions and the best if the G5 Champions which most years would be the AAC champion.

I think that is a big win for us if it were able to become reality.

Ideally, the next best would be an automatic bid for the AAC Champion…maybe if BYU and others join the American.

Lowest rated viewership for the NC in yrs. I think they expand the playoffs next round. People are bored of the predictability of just a few winning it all and adding 8 playoff spots will add excitement bc #8 could beat #4 etc.

The most one sided matchup since the Little Big Horn.

4 Likes

I watched and enjoyed the entire game. So impressive to see a coach that has put together a dynasty, coaches coaches & players and is in effect the CEO of Bama Football Inc. You can knock success if you have too, but he’s done a great job and does it right in my opinion.
#GoCoogs!

1 Like

Watched the first half, then went to bed. Not very interesting. In fact, this whole college football season was kind of an illegitimate mess. I only really payed attention to Cougar games, and we didn’t play any for quite a while. I hope next year is a “real” season, people get vaccines, and we can enjoy some kind of normal football again.

Nope didn’t watch one bit. Listened to coach Sampson radio show, then replay of our game verses Wichita state. Not going to legitimize a sham that is convinced UH doesn’t belong.

1 Like

You either have Div I football or not.
This scam of an invitational is run by a cartel.
A cartel that no matter how good a G5 is will kick them to the curb because they want to keep the money to themselves.
An ncaa that has conferences but abdicates because they are also “taken care off” by the cartel
A cartel that has the COJONES, yes COJONES to call this a National Championship game.
You want to see good players? Alabama plays regular season games.
This CARTEL/espn production is like an informercial.
You can bet that Alabama will be back for the same infomercial at the same time next year.
At some point that informercial is going to run flat. Then what cartel/espn?
You think I am reaching?
Product saturation does exist…even for a cartel run product.

I don’t remember, but were people complaining about UCLA winning every year and therefore the, then limited, NCAA tournament was boring?