Missed the CFP

That’s probably not an equal comparison since all the teams in the tournament got the opportunity to play for an actual championship. Let alone, they weren’t automatically eliminated before the season even started.

1 Like

You have FBS and FCS already. Btw, Alabama has nothing on North Dakota State’s run. Is everybody sick of that FCS playoff system yet?

The popularity of the NCAA basketball tournament didn’t explode and become widely known as March Madness until’s UCLA’s streak of 10 national championships in 12 years ended in mid 1970s with the retirement of coach John Wooden.
It was no longer the UCLA Invitational with a number of other teams having a legitimate chance of winning a Natty.

1 Like

True, but ESPN and widespread TV coverage didn’t arrive until the early 80’s.

That is when the big $$$$$$ started.

Didn’t even know Alabama won until today. No interest whatsoever in the P5 monopoly. And I don’t think the lack of interest is due to COVID/no-fans. I am enjoying the NFL playoffs and looking forward to the next round.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched a single “Power5” game since they invented those “Power5” and “G5” terms. I was too pissed off at how corrupt college football has become and pissed off at ESPN for creating a caste system with its ridiculous terms and intentionally eliminating competition for smaller, lower budget schools to compete against their bigger, richer schools that they have anointed as “Power5!”

3 Likes

It’s my way of giving them the middle finger and telling them I refuse to watch their rigged games! I don’t like their rigged caste system of labelling schools into the “G5” and “Power5” camps as a way to make sure certain schools would always stay down and won’t be allowed to compete for the national title all the while they are pouring all of their money, resources, and time to promoting their chosen schools as the untouchables and arrogantly labelling them with that pompous title of “Power5!”

Yes, Alabama is great! But would they be half as great if ESPN didn’t go out of its way to promote it and keep 60% of college teams from competing against it by labeling them G5 and make it impossible for them to compete for the national title? Would Alabama be half as great if the payouts for the SEC isn’t 11-14 times more than those schools they label as G5? Would Alabama be half as great if recruiting is more fair and the disparity between the so-called “Power5” and “G5” isn’t so great?

With more money, more promotion, and more lofty veneration that ESPN throws at Alabama than other schools, especially the lowly “G5” schools that they frown upon, the more advantage Alabama is able to get in recruiting as well as the advantage in building first class facilities which also attract more top recruits which in turn create a bigger and bigger divide between the haves and have nots. If you truly want to see competitions on the football fields how can you be in support of such a rigged system? I can’t stand it and that’s why I refuse to watch it!

1 Like

Well said - HoustonCoogster - well said.

1 Like

Glad to have found out that me not watching, contributed to it being the least watched championship game in the modern era.

3 Likes

People can keep fighting the good fight of not watching games they admit they would enjoy watching if the system wasn’t rigged. College football has always been rigged and always will be. If there was a 16 team playoff and Alabama beat Cincy and Coastal Carolina on the way to the championship, would you have watched the title game? Still would have been rigged according to your post. A lot of your points could be applied to pro sports as well. Its all rigged for big market and name brand teams. Same argument could go to FCS where North Dakota St gets all the press and lifted up by the media, always gets an easy path in the bracket. I don’t think you would be able to watch any sports if you were protesting unfair treatment by networks or the league.

1 Like

That’s about as effective as me boycotting all Jane Fonda movies since she went to Hanoi. Well, I don’t see her in many movies anymore, so there’s that.

Unless you have the tracking thing, you didn’t count.

LOL…I didn’t do it to boycott. I simply wasn’t interested. And, I love watching college football. I do believe that I am one of a multitude of college football viewers. No biggie, though. Just gave me a little smile that it turned out to be the least watched championship game.

2 Likes

I agree even the pro level is rigged, no doubt about it! But with college football it’s rigging on steroids! Not just the monetary payout for each conference is so outrageously unfair and rigged, but to make it even more unfair they put a cap on how far a “G5” team can go in the post season, i.e. none of them can ever play for the national title no matter how great it is because they would always put a few “Power5” teams in front of it to keep it away from being among the top 4.

What makes the college level even worse is the fact that in the professional leagues (Such as the NFL) there is no hidden rule that says certain teams cannot be allowed to play for a championship no matter how great they are or how better their records are than other teams. In the college level a “G5” team could be 13-0 and beat all of its opponents by four touchdowns or more and still be left out of the national title game all the while several “Power5” teams with three losses on their records could get the nod to play for the national title instead! What kind of BS system is that? Who wants to see a national title game that is actually an exclusive club for the chosen few?

It is almost like they are so afraid of their chosen “Power5” teams might get embarrassed and beaten by the lowly “G5” teams (Teams that they intentionally chained to the bottom of a cold dungeon and starved) and so the best way to keep an upset and an embarrassment from happening to their chosen “Power5” teams in the biggest stage they completely killed any possibility of that from happening by refusing to ever let these “G5” teams play against their vaunted “Power5” teams for their national title award!

And the fact that this kind of cheating and rigging are taking place at the college level makes it even more shameful and outrageous! What happened to teaching young people the value of fair play and honor? What these ESPN and “Power5” officials are doing is extremely shortsighted. In trying to market their “Power5” teams as more exclusive and more above other teams from other conferences they have completely eliminated competition, the hallmark of sports in the first place. They have also cheapened that national title award in itself since the team that wins that award isn’t the best team in the country, it is simply the best team that plays for that rigged system created by the ESPN and the “Power5!”

1 Like

You missed my point. You are mentioning the FCS system as an example.
I will answer you this way.
Let’s try using the conference champions system like the FCS does. Then you can make your own judgement. You do not know how this will play out.
You can be sure of one thing. Let’s say for argument’s sake that we put in an FCS system for Div I what do you think will happen next?
You will see a major realignment for every single conference. Why you may ask?
A given P5 school will see it as easier to play in another conference.

Again all of this banter is useless since the cfp is owned, run and forced fed to us by the cartel.

They aren’t leaving money to join a worse conference. The main thing I want is a system where every undefeated team gets a shot at the title. Would love a requirement that every P5 and G5 have to play one game against the other group too. Either way these top teams are too good, they destroy the teams in their own conference who get the same money payouts and same access to the playoff.

I thought this might be a good article, but didn’t have much meat to it. The scholarship reduction would be a huge help to break up the dynasty (but NDSU is doing it with fewer scholarships). An expanded playoff would mainly help the Pac 12 right now. It might stop the top players going east.

Oh, that happens all the time. A lot of the P5 powers play G5 teams, usually the really weak ones.

2 Likes

If you create a playoff you are saying only the playoff spots matter. If you only have four the talent becomes very concentrated amongst 6 teams. That is very boring.

Expand to eight and the talent will even out somewhat.

Bama was like an NFL team.

1 Like