Moral of the Story: Can Houston return to NCAA Tournament without Rob Gray?

Lengthy write-up

https://eastcoasthoopsgroup.com/2018/10/03/moral-of-the-story-can-houston-return-to-ncaa-tournament-without-rob-gray/

Houston is loaded with guards and will be one of the best defensive teams in the AAC. They have momentum from reaching last year’s NCAA Tournament and have a bright future with Hinton being the focal point.

Their lack of experience and depth in the front court will be an issue and more importantly, Gray’s absence will be tough to overcome.

But the Cougars will reach the NCAA Tournament in back-to-back years for the first time since 1984 by maximizing their strengths and using their toughness to their advantage.

2 Likes

Agree 100%.

One of the most consistent trends in college basketball is that someone always replaces the scorer.

I am far more interested in continuing to play rugged D and using athleticism to dominate the boards. If we do those two things we’re thick in the Tourney and back on the national stage.

I absolutely love the Sampson brand. I love the pressers where CKS brazenly says, “yea, they’re good…but we’re just as good.”

2 Likes

I love CKS interviews. He doesn’t speak in coach speak or cliches, just tells you what he thinks. I’ve made it a point to find his weekly interviews and give them a listen as he’s highly entertaining.

But, I agree, that defense will be the calling card of his tenure. Was great last year watching the team camp down and come up big in situations they usually wilted in. The culture is strong.

3 Likes

I think CKS might be the best defensive coach in the country. I’m trying to think who is better…?