Mylik (can someone please confirm this)?

If everyone returns next year it s lock as favorite to win it all. Jamal has to go to development league he may just decide comeback here for another year with the right NIL deal and insurance contract to cover injury

No way i see the lads coming back. We’re all in this year and thats fine. We’ve been through this before.

They can’t all come back.

1 Like

I’d be good with Roberts + LJ + Wilson coming back. If that pushes a kid or two down the pecking order (and those kids that do slide down the pecking order might leave) so be it.

1 Like

Might as well get to work on that doctorate!!!

It’s a wash in terms of scholarship usage.

Here is how I see next year’s potential roster by position

1 - Shead
1.5 - Wilson / Jefferson
2 - Cryer / Miller
2.5 - Sharp
3 - Dunn / McCarty
3.5 - Arceneaux / Walker
4 - McFarland
4.5 - Roberts / Tugler
5 - Francis / Lath

If Shead leaves (almost for sure), it seems likely CKS goes to the portal for a proven veteran PG.

I would like to see portal replacements for Roberts and/or Cryer if either of them leave - although not sure CKS agrees

Maybe a PG sniper could lessen the need for a Cryer replacement. If Roberts leaves who can replace his back to the basket scoring?

1 Like

That’s 15 ships or are you just outlining all possibilities?

Right, we have to lose at least two plus one for every portal add.

1 Like

Also, CKS never seems to have more than about 10 kids who expect to play. I assume he thinks 13 kids all expecting to play is bad for chemistry.

Who out of the above bunch is not going to expect time next year? Is McCarty a redshirt possibility?

Shead is gone. After his performances over the last 2 months he is getting drafted. I think a team in the late first rd should take him.

3 Likes

McCarty isn’t ready to play yet physically. If you watched him this past year you can see he needs a year to get stronger and also adjust defensively.

My gut feeling says Shead leaves. Would absolutely be thrilled to have Cryer and Roberts back to solidify those positions, but if they leave I think Sampson goes with the kids he recruited (Jefferson, McFarland, Miller, and McCarty).

Why? He’s loyal to the kids recruited into the program. This is why guys like Walker and Willson are still here. And at some point the young players like Jefferson and McFarland need to get on the court.

This is not to say things can’t change. They probably will. If anyone transfers out, then I fully expect Sampson to grab another transfer to fill the need so he isn’t “caught too young.” At this point, however, I only expect to see Samson hit the transfer portal to replace Shead.

One more thought. I think Sampson redshirts Lath next year to give him more time to develop.

All in all, you have a mixture of experience players with some young guys.

Francis, Tugler, TA, and McFarland give us a formidable front court that can rebound, block shots, and defend the low post and perimeter. Sampson gets a PG from the portal to go along with Sharp, Jefferson Miller, and McCarthy as guards.

Lath has already redshirted. He joined the team in December 2022.

2 Likes

Roberts is the one that I think has still not reached his full potential here. I would love to get Cryer back but not sure what he has left to prove.

2 Likes

Sampson has said numerous times over the yrs “you don’t want to get caught young”. It’s one thing to not bring in kids through the portal in the frontcourt because they had Roberts and Francis coming back.

If Jamal and Cryer and Wilson all leave they’ll only have Sharp coming back (and TA) in the backcourt. Depending on all three of Miller, Chase and Jefferson would mean exactly what Sampson has said he doesn’t want to do if he can help it. Out of those three I’d say Miller sees the most playing time and I’d also think that he brings in a PG from the portal. Possibly even another SG/SF.

I think Cryer could still take a big step as the primary ball handler, if that’s what he’s after.

2 Likes

True, but would CKS turn the role over to him? If he leaves we will regret it if we don’t bring in someone who can drill threes.

I mean we are a natty contender - not just some team trying to be competitive in conference and make the tourney

1 Like

You can have more than 13 on your roster. Just cannot issue more than 13 Athletic scholarships.

Arizona, Tech, and Baylor all have 15. Kansas has 17.

Only 13 can suit up for a game. The Coach can decide which 13.

I want Mylik to return. He’s improved so much. I don’t think he’s a starter PG, but he outs in great minutes with rebounding, defense (shot blocking), and his scoring is improving

3 Likes