NBC Notre Dame and Big 12?

I can see the NBC/ND/Big12 partnership working and also having CBS and ESPN especially if we can raid the PAC.

ACC scheduling B12 teams

Some of yall act like theyre going to join tomorrow!! This is a process
Big 12 leadership already said they dont expect to even make an announcement until end of summer
For those of you with attention span of 5 year old, i will tell you what i tell them
YOU HAVE TO WAIT !

2 Likes

I’m definitely not going to be checking this daily.

https://twitter.com/jasonscheer/status/1549910001132527616?t=XFJfbzsl4giEzBy6s2brbQ&s=19

7 Likes

Exactly! You really didnt believe that B.S. story that USC/UCLA just woke up one morning and said, “Hey B1G, can we join?” “Sure, come on in”—B1G. This has been developing for over a year. Now i believe some preliminary talks have already occurred, but once the PAC schools ask for a Big 12 invitation, both the Big 12 and the schools will have lawyers hash crap out “quickly” (relatively) but it wont be overnight and wont be announced right away either.

All type of conversation been going on for a year on more USC/UCLA W/ B1G , AZ schools w B12. Who knows who else in CFB as the tectonic plates keep shifting in CFB

The Colorado BOR meeting was an executive BOR meeting where a presentation was made to BOR about the current meetings with the Big 12. NO vote was taken and no decisions were made at this executive meeting.

2 Likes

Source?

It appears in the next few weeks, the Irish are going to have to make a decision to join the B1G or stay independent.

If NBC fails in its bid to acquire broadcast rights in the Big Ten, it could look to the Big 12 to bolster its deal with the Fighting Irish, which would likely remain independent in such a scenario.

Can the Big12 negotiate with NBC before ESPN and Fox?

1 Like

No.

As to the above, if ND joins the Big Ten and Stanford is grabbed up even though they suck at attendance and drawing viewers, the PAC still has Oregon and UW for anchors. If the Big Ten does the unlikely and gets Oregon and UW, the PAC is finished.

In 2020, ND averaged 4.8 million viewers, but dropped to 2.5 million viewers in 2021. If I were NBC, I’d want to see if the drop is an anomaly.

This is great news! imo ND needs to stay indy.

1 Like

My intuition is that if Stanford leaves the conference, it actually maybe easier for them to rebound with institutions that are otherwise suspect on academics. The remaining schools with good academics either envision themselves leaving (Washington) or are feeling kind of desperate (Cal).

Acres has said that he thinks Stanford is actually the glue that holds the conference together and if they go then even if the conference is more viable schools will be less inclined to stay. That could be true.

Somehow I doubt that big State U’s like UW and UO give a flip what Stanford has to say on re-alignment, otherwise, they wouldn’t be trying to get into the B1G without Stanford.

1 Like

The B1G says they aren’t no other team or teams adds enough value to bring in. Among UW, Oregon, and Stanford, Stanford is the worst TV fit. But ND needs a playmate, so we’ll bring in Stanford? Nah
 The Tree is sitting on a huge endowment, is a top ten for pumping out billionaires, and hasn’t done jack squat to actually get good at football.

1 Like

I didn’t know conference realignment was about academics. I thought it was all about football, money then we will look at your academics.

I thought the only way Stanford would be added to the B1G, was if Notre Dame said, if you want me, you have to bring in Stanford too.

1 Like

And I’m pretty sure that ND hardly even CONSIDERS Stanford in any of its decision making.

1 Like

Or anybody else besides ND

1 Like

My point is football is not a priority for Stanford in the current environment where football drives the TV revenue. Even though they can afford to spend with anyone. Academics is just one metric to narrow the eligible candidates for expansion.

Notre Dame has played Stanford every (non-covid year) for the last thirty years. If they want to keep playing Stanford without burning one of few OOC games, I can very easily see them insisting on it. They might be serious or might be bluffing, but the Big Ten probably doesn’t risk that it’s not a bluff. Especially since I don’t think adding Stanford is that much of a problem for them anyway.

Keep in mind this really isn’t just a financial decision for Notre Dame. If it were, they would have already joined. Stanford - heck, just the ability to make the demand - could matter to them.

Regarding Oregon and Washington, they were told the Big Ten is staying pat “for now”, and a lot of commentary has said that they don’t add enough value, but I would not want to bet the future of my athletics program on them not being able to come terms. By far the biggest argument for coming to the Big 12.

Not sure I would say Stanford has done nothing for football.

They would be a valuable add for either conference based on past success, ability to fund future success, and their location.