Nebraska AD Going to A&M

Sorry 27. Oh well there goes our spot in the P2. A&M first move in going to the B1G…:rofl:

SURE! Nebraska’s been so successful the last 10 years…hmmmm…WAIT a minute…

7 Likes

How does TAMU stealing Nebraska’s underperforming AD = TAMU switching conferences ( SEC to B1G)?

2 Likes

To get away from their Daddy - UT :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah I am also confused on that one

Actually, it’s a great match. One underperforming AD replacing another underperforming AD.

I’m not sure Alberts can top Byrne’s last contract with Jimbo.

3 Likes

My wife’s family are Cornhuskers, they are pretty bummed out by his departure, he had a lot of projects that were underway which makes the finish line questionable now.

His buyout will be around $4mil.

1 Like

Yeah, TAMU can take Nebraska’s place!!

In all seriousness, this is likely a money grab by Alberts. He did get Nebraska athletics on good ground with the hires of Hoiberg and Ruhle. Being an AD or HC at your Alma mater is hard enough, but doing at Nebraska must really suck.

Amazing he gets that job despite his experience but these search firms hook up their chosen folks

oh no, i hope nebraska’s next move isn’t to hire pez away. if any huskers are reading this i hope they truly understand that chris pezman is a fantastic athletic director and we need him to stay here. he’s been truly instrumental to our program and we’d absolutely hate to see him go to nebraska, even if he would be the best hire they could possibly make.

4 Likes

Nebraska alum here. Alberts leaving is a giant stab in the back. Traitor, Judas, whatever you want to call him. The main reason he left appears to be leadership change within the university. The university has a new Chancellor and an interim President. Money was a little more, but not life changing more. Even if that’s the case, Nebraska was home and he was beloved in the state. He could go anywhere and get almost anything in the state. Not anymore.

Alberts was by far from an underwhelming AD. This is the best year N athletics has had in a long time. Volleyball playing in the National Title game, Soccer made the elite 8, Men’s and Women’s basketball will make the Big Dance, wrestling, men’s gymnastics are top 5 programs and track and field, women’s blowing and rifle are ranked. Softball was a WCWS contender until Jordan Bahl tore her ACL and baseball is off to a good start. Football is in great footing with Rhule and the state is excited for the future. Trev was leading a $450 Million stadium renovation. He was only there 2.5 years. Trev is a traitor and can never go home again. He will be booed unconditionally if he ever comes back. #Unretire34.

2 Likes

I see what you did there! :wink:

James! Hiya!

Tell me more about Nebraska’s women’s blowing team.

4 Likes

He seemed to be making some progress…doesnt make sense…All i can say is Alberts must have really been discouraged about winning in football and BB in the future to have bailed like that…its a mystery…

(With Trev Alberts out, Nebraska is left scrambling for answers — and stability - The Athletic)

Just reading the article: He apparently did a good job at Nebraska, but did have a few notable skeletons:

1. Fuzzy accounting that left his former athletic department at Nebraska-Omaha in the red to a serious degree.
  2. Listed on a lawsuit in which a former women’s basketball player was having sex with her coach.
  3. Needed to raise $450 million to renovate Memorial Stadium.

I think Nebraska is a really difficult job because Nebraska football in the new landscape is going to struggle to compete. No more free scholarships for the walkon program. California doesn’t produce as many recruits, and they aren’t picking Nebraska #1 as often as they did under Osbourne.

Look at what is happening at Arizona with budgetary concerns. Look at Alabama crying poor earlier this week. https://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-greg-byrne-caution-end-of-college-athletics-womens-sports-on-capitol-hill

Athletic departments are going to have to get realistic about their budgets.

Where does Nebraska rank in the new Big 10 with NO divisions?
Ohio State
Michigan
Oregon
Washington
Penn State
USC

At best Nebraska is the 7th best program in a good year. I think Matt Rhule is a good coach, but Nebraska football IMO is not going to be a perennial power ever again.

1 Like

You mean the 8-time National Champion (in 25 years. They won a lot more before it was an official NCAA sport) women’s bowling program. :slightly_smiling_face: They are the Bama football of bowling. I’m not sure how or why Nebraska became a women’s bowling power, but they are.

No one in Nebraska is expecting 90’s Nebraska. Of course we would all like it, but people from on the outside need to stop thinking Husker fans think it’s that, or nothing. On your list, I’ll grant OSU, Michigan, and I guess Oregon because of Nike. The rest of those schools, there is no reason to not expect Nebraska to have the success (or lack thereof) of Washington, PSU and USC over the last 20 years. Solid programs with an opportunity to win a title every 5-10 years. (Really what has USC been since Carroll left? A giant circus that gets the benefit of out doubt because they are in LA and their glory years are a little more recent that Nebraska’s.)

Nebraska is a more difficult job for many of the reasons you suggested. It still has the most passionate fan base in the country. Name another school that would sell out every game for 62 years, and especially the last 10-12 years that have been garbage. There isn’t one. That alone will keep N relevant. On top of that, N has had crap AD’s since Bill Byrne (left 2002), which has led to a lot of internal dysfunction. Alberts was the first to appear to right the ship.

As for the 3 items you listed: 1. Funny accounting, maybe so, maybe not. The way Nebraska was moving forward that wasn’t going to matter. 2. That lawsuit isn’t going away because he left the state. It’s still there. 3. Yeah, it’s $450 million. You’re the leader! It was your project! Have some…umm…fortitude! Raising $450M isn’t going to be easy, but it can be done. (Did a new football and basketball arena scare Mack Rhoades from coming to UH when hardly anyone, except for Khator, thought it could be done? No. He found a way. Maybe he should be the next N AD? I’m somewhat serious and he’s the one who got me out of college athletics.)

Think of it this way. Pez leaves and Jim Nantz takes the final step in his career and becomes AD. Cougar Nation is on board, most teams are improving, school moral is up, and major funding initiatives are in process. Two years in Nantz leaves to become the AD at Indiana, just because Khator retired. He could see it through, but nah, that would be too difficult without a new President right now. How would you feel about Nantz? Alberts was a Husker who wore his passion on his sleeves since 1990. Major trophy winner and his name is in the stadium. Ditched Nebraska for a more dysfunctional situation than he has at home. But his new situation can literally throw money at any problem. (Yeah oil money and 8 billion alumni!). Alberts can never go home again. He can pound sand for life.

Alberts leaving doesn’t make a lot of sense. With the president gone, he and Rhule should be the big men on campus.

I’m disappointed that A&M got another good AD. Maybe this one will also leave for other pastures when things get hot.

I knew you meant bowling when you typed blowing but I bet the latter would have higher attendance!

He wants some that Aggie money. Saw Jimbo got paid, so why not join the party. Ags aren’t the brightest bulb in the package