New grad transfer QB - Quinten Dormady from Tennessee

https://twitter.com/Rob_Sellers_/status/986404759350456320

6 Likes

Tenn opening game starter last season.

I tried watching some of his highlights from Tennessee but I can only stomach so much orange. But seriously, he’s got great size and looks like he can really sling it. Could be really effective in the type of offense we’re heading towards. I’m assuming he’ll compete for a spot during King’s senior season?

grad transfer, eligible right away, 1 year to play

Most likely increases the chances of a Tune redshirt.

Why in the world would a guy with 1 year to play transfer here? That makes no sense to me.

5 Likes

I was gonna say Tune might be redshirting. I dont get this. We should be looking at secondary help grad transfers.

i dont get it either, it doesnt make sense for us…it makes even less sense for him

we’ve already named a starter… he is fighting a huge hill to get pt…
was hoping we’d get a grad transfer skill player (wr or cb) but i guess qb depth isnt a bad thing

he was a former 4star btw

1 Like

Rob Sellers thinks he could compete with King for the starting QB job and push Smith to WR.

Maybe after spring practice it was evident that there’s really not much depth behind King?

1 Like

I just got thru watching the first three games he started last year and if he competes for the starting job WE ARE IN TROUBLE! King shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

Check it out for yourself:

1 Like

I was going to suggest that. Maybe Bryson was moving to WR and then he would play behind King when we were up by alot or in smaller games (i.e Rice) or hes coming to play WR?

Well, the kid we had from a$m was a 5 star, but clearly didn’t fit whatever system we were running last year !!

1 Like

C’mon folks, we should all expect him to compete for the starting QB position this fall. Coach Briles wouldn’t bring him in otherwise.

We need to have size, speed and depth across the board on offense. We had little to none of that last year.

1 Like

This can only benefit us. Adversity makes you better. Would he play at another position? Then you gotta ask what about other grad players at these other positions? It gives us another option that we did not have. He is obviously bright. I only see it as a positive.
Keep in mind friends that Dormady was 3-2 while the other combined for 1-6. They finished 4-8 hardly a dominating Team and their HC got fired.

Its puzzling.

Not rational to think Dormady comes to UH without a real shot at playing time.

The staff just got a long look at the QBs.
From this move, they saw real issues (either with the back ups and/or the starter) in this new offense.

Happy to have him if staff feels its a must but other position seem like better spots for a grad transfer.

JD says that we’re going to be active in the grad transfer market this summer. There will be more room at the inn, it appears.

And Dormady didn’t come here without some sort of assurance that he would be given a chance to compete with King in August.

2 Likes

Any idea how many spots available?

It’s great for us, isn’t it? We have no experience behind King. So here’s someone with some experience to push King, and to back King up if he can’t take the job from King.

Why he chose here is a little less obvious, except if he does get to play he’ll probably have some eye-catching numbers when he enters the draft next year.

Let’s face it, there aren’t a lot of options for these one-year guys. First, you want to be in a place where you’ll get some notice. This offense running here or in Baylor sure didn’t hinder any quarterbacks when it came to NFL interest did it? Second, you want a place where you can put up some numbers. This system and this team have some tradition of that. Third, you want as little depth/competition as possible as you have little time to learn the system and prove your worth. We’re hurting for depth at QB.

Good teams typically have some depth. Nobody wants to go to a team you know is going to stink. And it’s a balancing act–finding a place that gets you some notice versus the possibility of seeing the field. King was hurt last year. He’s not a big guy. We’re one play away from being in trouble this year. IMHO, it’s not so crazy that we wanted this guy or that he wanted here.

Just my random thoughts . . . .

9 Likes

This is Schulz vs. Ward all over again. It won’t be close. King is the starter. I live in Knoxville and wear Coog gear all the time so I’ll be ready to inform these SEC-centric locals that their leftovers aren’t just going to come to the AAC and dominate.

7 Likes