New OC! BOOOOM

Former Miss St OC Kevin Barbay
https://x.com/chris_hummer/status/1736487078030946767?s=20

11 Likes

He got an F from the newspaper there as a coach. No consistency.

3 Likes

6 Likes

17 Likes

https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/football/what-mississippi-state-football-new-offense-looks-like-under-offensive-coordinator-kevin-barbay

3 Likes

Lots to like

2 Likes

From the looks of it besides his most recent stint at Miss State, he had 2 years as OC at app state and central mich where his offense average 440+ yds per game.

12 Likes

More on this here,

1 Like

Mississippi State was bad on offense Barbay’s one year as OC there, but he had a lot of success at his previous stops as OC. See my post above. Appalachian State was in the top 25-30 in scoring and total offense the year he was OC there.

8 Likes

Coach V mentioned in link above your post - expected coming from Mike Leach offense.
Makes sense - Leach was built around players who could execute his “go 2” tunnel screens.

Hoped for an OC coming off a big year but Fritz gonna Fritz.

Great Post X 2.

3 Likes

You know individually, vetted from all these perspectives, I am with some of you on the concern, but for me, with Fritz coming in at the helm and with consensus that coach is generally known for building programs….
he is getting a big ole blank check from me to do what he needs to do. If we knew better we’d be out there coaching :joy:

Despite all the knocks on this OC, I assume Fritz has an eye for what it takes to do well. And I’ll judge based on results.

Welcome to our new OC ||n/

11 Likes

Didn’t have a great year at MSU but….

According to Matrix Analytical, Barbay ranks No. 1 among active FBS offensive coordinators in career average pass game efficiency. He was one of just two Group of Five play callers in 2022 to produce an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19 percent with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense.

Among FBS offensive coordinators since 2009, Barbay ranks per Matrix Analytical:

• Inside the Top 15 percent in Passing Touchdowns Per Attempt
  • Inside the Top 20 percent in Fewest Interceptions Per Attempt
  • Inside the Top 25 percent in both QB Rating and QB Efficiency
  • Inside the Top 30 percent in Yards Per Attempt

Over the last two seasons, Barbay’s offenses combined to averaged 448.01 yards per game and rank in the top 20 nationally. His offenses have consistently scored over 30 points per game, achieving that feat 56 percent of the time with a 33.61 points per game average.

This past season, Barbay’s prolific offense ranked inside the top 25 nationally in scoring offense (No. 23 – 34.9), passer rating (No. 19 – 155.80), yards per pass attempt (No. 18 – 8.4), yards per play (No. 22 – 6.56), rushing offense (No. 21 – 204.42) and yards per rush (No. 21 – 5.18).

Barbay’s offense proved to be explosive, racking up 21 plays of 40-plus yards (14 passing, 7 rushing), which was good for No. 8 nationally. The Mountaineers were also highly successful at limiting negative plays, ranking No. 5 nationally in percentage of negative plays allowed (8.28), according to Coaches by the Numbers. Additionally, Barbay’s unit ranked No. 15 nationally in percentage of first downs plus touchdowns that came on first-down plays.

17 Likes

Miss State is where dreams go to die. I won’t hold it against him

30 Likes

Like him I do … Go Coogs!

1 Like

Yeah he’s been great everywhere else hes been. MSU didn’t work out but its silly to hold it against him for 1 bad year when he’s at great ones too

Looks more explosive than Slade Nagle. :+1:

17 Likes

Oh he’s 100% better than Nagle

7 Likes

Directed App State team that won at A&M

17 Likes

Not gonna judge a guy that got thrown into a job because the head coach died unexpectedly and then was part of a makeshift staff…seems like a good hire

14 Likes

Is he an improvement over Dana?

All we need to know.

16 Likes