New uniform watch

5 Likes

Let the kids have some fun.

Good grief:

image|4 image|690x388 40x334, 75%

7 Likes

download (1)

9 Likes

These teams aren’t in that group because of uniform selection. They’re in that group because of winning. Schools who don’t have a blueblood history have to find any advantage they can in recruiting. Sometimes that advantage is a black uniform set.

If these Boomers were right about everything, UH would have never been left out of the Big 12 or SEC.

Evolving is how you don’t get left behind.

5 Likes

UH1927 tossed an easy pitch over the plate and it got launched. Lots of team do alternative uniforms …

16 Likes

People are acting like the team wears it every other game or something. It’s one, maybe two times a year, and usually a special date like Halloween. If people are familiar with the UH logo and still think our school colors are black just because of seeing it once that year, then maybe they don’t watch enough UH football. Not our problem they choose to remain ignorant to the truth.

3 Likes

The bottom line is that there are a few blue bloods who want to hold on to tradition - like Texas, OU, Bama, Penn State. These are blue bloods and it is at least understandable. Houston is a team that should be progress with branding because we aren’t blue bloods.We need to generate excitement and interest and a unique brand - not simply be one of like 10 schools who are red and white.

4 Likes

Yep I think you should have done a little more research before forming your list but @qwanseeker is right. We are not a blueblood so we should do other things to generate excitement and attract recruits and potential fans other than winning.

We aren’t confusing anyone, and having alternate uniforms you wear once a year for a special black out game isn’t a gimmick. It’s become tradition and the players and students love them. And like I said it’s some of our best attendance for football and basketball. You are looking way too deep into it
https://twitter.com/uniauthority/status/1486730722979237888?s=21&t=CkI9LeQOX4JoaMjIKJKPNg
https://twitter.com/uniswag/status/1455195855649230855?s=21&t=CkI9LeQOX4JoaMjIKJKPNg

7 Likes

They do blackout uniforms even in HS, whole stadium gets into it. Players love alternative uniforms. Like the pink socks and numbers for Breast Cancer month in October, stuff like that.

2 Likes

I think that style of sunglasses are making a comeback because I have seen plenty in MLB use them this season.

I like the new uniforms, hope we have pants with stripes in them. And still hoping for a throwback Oilers alternate jersey for a game.

1 Like

Yeah…I’m in the camp that we build a program that CAN be a blueblood one day. You are in the camp that we need minor league gimmicks to attract attention.

We will agree to disagree and BTW- we are ‘almost’ at blue blood level in basketball. A few more years of this run and we will definitely be IN the conversation

You want to be a blueblood- Act like one!

The black uniforms i can stomach, the white helmets suck so much donkey a$$ its animal abuse.

I hear our game 1 helmets will be white with the “Houston” written in cursive on the sides. Wtf…

2 Likes

Main issue with adding black to the mix is that we are going into a conference with Texas Tech and Cincinnati is coming with us.

I think we should lean into gray as the accent/third color.

Though it doesn’t collide with any schools of the conference we are joining, I do hope we never try blue again. #CougarsNotBluegars

3 Likes

Ugh. Nevada’s helmet last night said “Pack”… no good reason for it in that they have a really good helmet logo. For our part, we should probably use Thundercoog more than we do if we’re looking for alternate designs.

Really don’t get the appeal of just putting the university’s name on the side.

You can sell more merch with using black. It’s a business move.

You can sell black shirts for blackout night, though I’d imagine the returns on that are diminishing as people go in with the shirt they wore the previous year.

We sell merchandise in black, gray, red, and white, but overwhelmingly the merchandise I see for UH in the wild is (appropriately) red.

People get fatter between seasons and need a bigger size. No worries.